Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tea Olive time

Posted by rhizo_1 7a AL (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 16:29

Isn't that aroma heavenly? For some reason, our Osmanthus fragrans has gone nuts with flowers. The hummingbirds are swarming it....do you think they can actually get nectar out of those blossoms? I know that bees do, but I've never seen any butterflies paying it any attention.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tea Olive time

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 23:16

rhizo,

The "tea olive" (Osmanthus 'fragrans') is not only drought-tolerant, but it seems to be especially fragrant during or after periods of drought. I've got somewhere around 20 planted in my yard just for the fragrance.

I have found this to be true with my night-blooming jasmine also (Cestrum 'nocturnum'), which is in heavy bloom right now for the third time this season. It's fragrance can be enjoyed throughout the entire yard and beyond. It's special, the only potted tropical I will never give up!

Nelson

o

rhizo, have wanted to plant some osmanthus but concerned about the size. We saw one in bloom at Piccadilly Farms up by Athens and it was gignormous - at least 30'x30' - obviously a mature plant but I don't have anywhere near that space available. Can you suggest a cultivar that doesn't get huge?

Many thanks, Rosie, in GA

o

hmmmm. I can't think of a smaller growing Osmanthus, but I'll look around. Back when I lived in a zone 8-8b location in SC, I saw lots of tea olives that size. Even here, where I would expect this plant to grow relatively slowly, our little three gallon baby has grown to about 7 or 8 feet in about five years.

Are you wanting Osmanthus in particular, or something with that light, sweet fragrance?

o

I have three tea olives, they are planted between the old house & the new house. I planted them because they are evergreens, didn't know about the lovely fragrance. Some day the old house will be for rent, & we wanted lots of green things in between the 2 yards. The smell is flowing up the terraces nicely, but someday I plan to move one near the porch of the new house.

o

I'm not sure how well Osmanthus transplants. Does anyone have any experience with this? I've got a little voice whispering from my memory bank about this and wonder if it's a red flag.

o

Knew I'd posted but couldn't remember where. Glad I found it again.

nelson, how large are your most mature plants?

Rhizo, Floridata lists then to 20'tall x 6-8'width. I'm limited. Only have 11 1/2' from driveway to property line. Some overhanging on neighbor's lot wouldn't present a problem, but 30 + feet in width would. I'd enjoy the frangrance but primarily looking for an evergreen to screen a view about 2 blocks away. My other option is wax myrtle, which I definitely like and know I can control with pruning.

Thanks Alabamans, glad y'all are here to help.

Rosie, Sugar Hill, GA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here