Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rain....rain....rain.......

Posted by daffodillady 7b/8a central AL (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 17:06

Our schools closed today due to possible flooding, and they have started asking residents in low lying areas to voluntarily evacuate. We have had over 10 inches of rain in the last three days, not counting totals from the last several weeks. My potted plants are doing well as they drain nicely, but I pray that we don't start having a lot of standing water. I am on fairly high ground, so I don't expect to have anything to worry about, unless the Ark floats by my window- LOL!! How are the rest of you making out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rain....rain....rain.......

• Posted by idig 7b (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 20:54

We haven't got it quite that bad here.

Other than a water stain in my den ceiling where a some leaves held water til it soaked through the shingles, things are ok here. Was able to get a bunch of smilax out of the ground pretty easily with the ground so saturated, about the only upside I can find.

Wasn't it this time last year we were crying about drought? Feast or famine...

o

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 21, 09 at 21:14

Since Friday I've recorded 10.375" of this crap you NEVER see when you want it and/or need it.

Sixteen inches of rain the first full week of May took a heavy toll on a lot of my plants, especially bulbs. Looks like this may take out a few more. On the other hand, the weeds are laughing out loud, which really ticks me off!

Oh well....I shouldn't complain - at least I haven't lost a house, car, or loved one. Still makes me MAD!!. LOL! Guess I better go check my blood pressure.....

Nelson ;-)

o

We've had a lot of rain in Gadsden, but it's been spread out enough that one downpour has time to drain off before the next one hits. We always get a river through our back yard when there's a long heavy rain, but that hasn't happened this time. Our house, thank goodness, is higher, but the sump pump in the crawl space is running a LOT.

This feast-or-famine rainfall reminds me of a recent speaker at our Master Gardeners who said that averages don't mean much when you talk about rainfall. "You can have one foot in a bucket of ice water and one in boiling water and, on average, you're fine." Wish we could impound some of this Fall's rain to use next summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here