Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanreese

Muscadines

stanreese
13 years ago

Ok, I know I have been absent for a while but I do have 3 little ones. They are getting older (4,3, and 19 months now). Their independence now allows me more time outside.

I have about three and a half acres over here in the Dora area and it is most hilly. I'm thinking of building trellises and planting muscadine vines much like the hilly vineyards in California where they grow grapes (a cousin of muscadines). I've done the site planning and I can get several hundred plants in the ground this fall to start producing fruit within 3 years.

I've researched varieties. Bottoms Nursey west of Atlanta has dozens of disease resistant plants in container and bare root stock.

I'm not looking to make a killing, just want to put the land to good use. It's too hilly for any livestock. I could grow vegetables or trees but I would have to terrace the whole thing.

Does anyone know of anyone else doing this? Are they successful? What is the market for the fruit? Where can I find resources on muscadines? Help??!?!?!

Stan (The Dad)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals