Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivilet

Need Ginger Lily help

vivilet
17 years ago

I live in AL zone 7b. Is it better to transplant ginger lilies in the spring or fall for this area ?

Comments (8)

• madabouteu
    17 years ago

I would wait until spring - they are barely hardy in 7b, needing heavy mulching, so in the winter they would face a lot of stress without any roots.

• plantaholic
    17 years ago

ginger lilies tend to work themselves to the top of the ground over time. they benefit from occasional division and resetting. the best time is to do this is late april thru june. i have divided them in fall with success, but i wouldnt make it a habit.

i have found that gingers love to grow on a slope and respond well to a heavy topdressing of compost and regular water & fertilizer.

• vivilet
    Original Author
    17 years ago

THANKS for the information!

• kabby_z8
    17 years ago

"Ginger lilies tend to work themselves to the top of the ground over time. they benefit from occasional division and resetting."
    Ah Hayes! You have given me a(n) Eureka moment. I have 2 hedys that have climbed out of the ground and this is what I need to do to make them increase in size. There's not enough to divide yet but I do need to reset them under the ground again. Thanks for the tip.
    Vivilet, I also plant my gingers in the spring. Ninety nine % of mine are hedychiums and by the fall they kick into action and start a growth spurt before the winter cuts them back. Good luck with yours!

• plantaholic
    17 years ago

kabby....in the case you might try a nice, thick layer of organic compost....easier than digging them up when they dont need chopping up.

• kabby_z8
    17 years ago

I think I tried that 2 or 3 times Hayes and the compost either got watered off or ????? Either way those rhizomes started showing their heads again. One of the hedys needs to be moved anyway, I have a banana tree next to it and it won't be long before pups start sprouting in and around the gingers. That will truly be a mess then.

• shadylainie
    17 years ago

I have transplanted alot of Ginger lillys. I can say, they bloom best in part sun. If you put them in too shady of an area they will grow but not produce as many blooms or sometimes none.

• decolady01
    17 years ago

I didn't realise ginger lilies were barely hardy in 7b. A friend in Huntsville gave me some as a passalong plant. I've had them in the ground at our farm in TN/6b for about 7 years now. Two years ago I moved them to my moon garden. Also didn't know they would work their way up out of the soil. Thanks for the info.

Becky

Sponsored