Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jbranch_gw

Maple Trees

jbranch
15 years ago

Was looking through this selection of photos and was admiring how handsome the maple trees are. I don't know anything about them, but was interested in adding a few to my yard. Are maple trees easy to grow in zone 7B?

Jeff

http://www.growsonyou.com/photo/slideshow/6960-acer-combo/member/dansgrdn

Comments (9)

• ourhighlandhome
    15 years ago

Hi Jeff!

Although I am by NO means an expert on acer palmatums/japonicums, I have about 10-15 different species currently growing in my yard, about half of which are in containers. Most are easy and very gratifying if you'll meet a couple of specific needs.

Despite what you might read or be told by some suppliers, it is my opinion that they all appreciate at least a little shade in Zone 7b, and most more than others. They are best grown in moist, well-drained soil, and do not need or particularly desire feeding or fertilizing. A light application of time-released plant food in spring won't hurt but, again, isn't necessary.

Again in my opinion, you can meet light and moisture requirements and still have a raggedy-looking tree by summer's end, simply because of the heat in our zone. For example, most of my trees were looking fairly decent until we started experiencing temperatures in the high 90's for an extended period of time this summer. Those in cooler parts of the yard faired much better than those in hot spots, some of whose leaves were scorched or lost. If you sight containers on patios or a deck, the additional heat can cause real suffering, even during the mildest of summers, especially if grown in containers that absorb and/or retain too much heat.

Having said that, I enjoy maples much too much to not grow them. During winter they provide interesting silhouettes and/or bark, spring-time brings exciting new growth in colors from yellow to scarlet, and even with a little defoliation during the hottest of summers, the fall leaves can be breathtaking.

My first maple was a simple "green Japanese maple". It is still my favorite, and is actually one that thrives for me in full sun, can handle drought fairly well, and has spectacular fall color. I would recommend it first and foremost to anyone.

Since you're coming to the swap we can talk more there about particular cultivars if you're interested.

Nelson

• daffodillady
    15 years ago

There is a gorgeous red laceleaf maple just down the street from me. I have never seen the owners provide any care for it. It gets full sun until noon, then light shade. I have admired it for a year and a half now!

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Well, Nelson, was that one of my Acers you have. I'll have to go look and check the size of the babies. I'll try to get some bigger ones about a foot tall or so if anyone wants 1 or 2 or ???
    Just a thought if there's interest.
    Lynn

• jbranch
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynn - if you are offering some maple trees, I'll take one!

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

Lynn, Would love one if you have enough. Got to learn how to grow from seed. Wonder if it is hard?
    Jill

• pfllh
    15 years ago

My Acer is very promiscuious, has lots of babies. I'll pick you both out a nice one. This late in the year, don't know how good of a root system it'll have for the winter. If we keep pretty good weather through dec. they ought to be OK. Or keep them protected to go through the seasons next year fully exposed. Sit next to the house in the pot on the south side.
    Lynn

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Jill, growing from seed is not easy for me. I have to walk all the way to the side of the house, walk back to that particular maple and say, go for it, lady. Then, I have to walk all the way back. Really hard.
    Kidding aside, the green is, I think, the easiest and fastest growing. I just let it go. I have a bloodgood that gets seed but haven't seen a baby.
    Others may know more about seed. Life changes your way of thinking. Some varieties are very slow growing. I don't look at those any more.
    The green is the only one I'd chance in full sun and then would monitor. Nelson is right about the shade. I'd do morning sun and as much shade as possible after 1pm, well drained and leave it alone. If you want to shape, do it after the leaves have fallen and use pruning seal to ensure no loss of sap or exposure to disease.
    Good luck
    Lynn

• tsmith2579
    15 years ago

Lynn, I have maples with the seeds still on them. When do I pick them and plant them?

Thanks
    Terry

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Terry, sent you an email. Sorry for delay but my keyboard went to heaven. Today was my first chance to take it where I got it.
    Hope the info helps.
    Lynn

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio