Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mheston_gw

hello

mheston
16 years ago

Hi, This is my first post here. I have just moved to Jacksonville Al from White Plains. I am not new to gardening but still just a beginner. I can see in my head what I want to do, It is just getting it into the ground. I am a nature lover and bird photographer, My goal is to make a wildlife friendly yard. I am looking for native plants I enjoy Rou Rous but they are closed this year and I have went to Bloomin Miracles and For the couple trips there I will probally become a regular. Any suggestion on other places to go.

Thank You, Mike

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

Welcome to the South! There are some great native plants that are bird friendly: check out the native viburnums like Viburnum dentatum, V. nudum, V. acerifolium, V. prunifolium and several others. Hummingbirds love the flowers on Red Buckeye (Aesculus pavia), Cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis), and native azaleas. Of course birds like cover plants, so check out evergreen plants like hollies (Ilex opaca and Ilex glabra), hemlocks, wax myrtle (now called morella cerifera).

I tell you, this is a great place to be for liking native plants and attracting wildlife. And if you want deer, just plant some hosta! :) Seriously, good luck with your new garden.

• lsmcw
    16 years ago

Google the Alabama Native Plant Society - we have programs, field trips, occasional plant rescues and know the best places to get natives (usually each other). Linda

• terramadre
    16 years ago

Mike,
    I am located in Jacksonville. Check out my "My Page" ;-) I'll be glad to share. You may want to join the Jacksonville Garden Club. We have over 40 plantaholics and great connections to the gardens of the Anniston Museum of Natural History and the county Extension System.
    BTW, is that White Plains just SE of J'ville?

• mheston
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello again, glad to meet you all. Yes it is the White Plains SE of Jacksonville. I would like to check out the J'ville Garden Club. A couple of years ago I signed up for the Master Gardener Course but school interfered with the schedule and I couldnt do it. I would also like to try that again. I have a list of native plants I am trying to find. Coral Honeysuckle, Butterfly Weed, Indian Pink, Little Brown Jug are some I would really like to find and also Muscadines, Blackberry and Mullberry. Those are some but I have a rather large list. I am also trying to design my yard and how I want it laid out. I am just lost on what I need to keep and what I need to not cut down. But I have plenty of time I am not going anywhere soon. Again glad to meet you!
    Mike

• littlecars
    16 years ago

Hi Mike,
    Like Terramadre, I am a member of the J'ville Garden Club. I am also a Master Gardener and holder of a National Wildlife Federation Wildlife Habitat. After all that, there are many folks here to assist you on your path. I collect native azaleas but have many other plants. The next garden club meeting is Wednesday, October 17th at the J'ville Community Center. There is time to meet several members between now and then if you are interested. Drop me an email. Welcome aboard.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County