Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Advice for groundcover on sunny, sandy hillside

Posted by katiezmommy Alabama (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 20:23

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting here, although I've been lurking for a little while now. We are purchasing 9 acres of land in Dale County, and will be doing some landscaping soon. My experience in landscaping is limited to having spread some bermuda seeds at our current home. As such, I'm at a loss as to where to begin. At the moment, the 9 acres are mostly cleared, with about an acre or 2 of heavy woods in the back. Eventually we'd like to have several gardens of flowers, vegetables, fruits and herbs. At the moment, however, we are trying to decide what we will do with the down slope on the corner of the house. We need to plant something to prevent erosion, but I'd like to plant something that won't require a great deal of maintenance and will be attractive year round. The soil is sandy with full sun. I'm thinking something with a path through it, as there's a nice open area at the bottom that would be a great spot for a future koi pond and sitting area. I also don't want anything that is highly invasive, because we plan on having several garden areas eventually. Thanks for any help or suggestions you may have.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Advice for groundcover on sunny, sandy hillside

i like the creeping junipers for such areas. some cultivars are very low-growing and they also are available in different shades of green with bluish, gold and grayish tones, with some changing toward purple or reddish in cold weather.
it doesn't like foot traffic and neither would you like walking on it (prickly stuff!) but it is tough and durable and can be very attractive. paths through it would be fine, though. contrary to the article, i never see weeds coming into the beds of it around town.

Here is a link that might be useful: creeping junipers

o
RE: Advice for groundcover on sunny, sandy hillside

• Posted by jcalhoun 8b Mobile County AL (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 4, 12 at 13:01

I suggest getting a soil test of your land. This will help you determine what will grow well there.

How big is the area you are trying to cover?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here