Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vegetable seed companies and advice for fall planting

Posted by passionvine 7b (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 1, 10 at 20:34

I have two questions about vegetable gardening in north Alabama. I just started a small raised bed garden this past spring with limited results. I would like to start a fall garden but I'm not sure when to plant what. I have searched online but most sites seems to be geared toward the northern states. I've also looked at the Alabama Extension Agency bulletin but even it is limited.

My next question is about seed companies - who would you recommend for garden seeds (or not recommend)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vegetable seed companies and advice for fall planting

So you HAVE looked at the ACES vegetable planting guide? And the planting poster? You might even give your local office a call (before you make the trip) to see if they have any other pamphlets or handouts that might be useful for you.

I use Park's Seed, mostly because I have for many years and have never had reason to complain. Be SURE to go on line and send away for their catalog, at the very least. Seed catalogs can be filled with some very useful information. (I do my purchasing on line, but my wishful thinking is in my comfy chair away from the computer, lol)

If there are some vegetables or herbs not covered in the ACES bulletins, ask us here or in the Vegetable (Cornucopia) Forum for some details.

Another potentially good source might be a local Feed and Seed type place. They often have local favorite varieties and a FRESH supply of seasonal seed. Huntsville's C.T. Garvin Feed and Seed is a good example. They sell their veggie seed by the tiny scoop or by the 50 pound bag! They will have all of your fall garden seeds, though perhaps not the most exotic varieties.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

o

Rhizo, thank you so much! Actually, I did locate a better planting guide on the extension site after I posted my question. I guess I was just not looking in the right place the first time.

I've ordered some seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds which someone directed me to. It has great reviews on Garden Watchdog.

o

Go ahead and get on the mailing list for some good catalogs, too. Truly, they can be very informational, educational and all that good stuff.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here