Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Converting lawn to garden

Posted by madabouteu 7/8 Alabama (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 24, 06 at 20:47

I want to convert a section of lawn, 3 feet wide and 11 feet long, in to a garden. The question is, how do I get rid of the grass, without using a tiller or herbicides?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Converting lawn to garden

You can dig up the sod or rent a sod cutter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sod busting

o

If you are not in a hurry to plant right away, cover the entire area with a thick mulch of newspapers and then cover the papers with good garden soil or compost. If you do it now, you should have a good soil without grass or weeds by late winter or early spring.

o

You can get used carpet and lay on the area you want for the garden and by spring it may me grass free. I cut strips of used carpet and put in paths between growing beds to keep out weeds. You could till the soil up and form raised beds and sort of bend the carpet up on edges to hold the soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here