Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gwannouncements

Volunteer FAQ Editor Needed

gwannouncements
13 years ago

We are looking for someone to help create an FAQ for this forum. While compiling information should be a group effort, one person would be charged with pulling it together into useful FAQs. This could mean a new document OR just pointing to helpful posts that are already on the forum. A good example of a helpful FAQ can be found here: Winter Sowing FAQ.

If you have a desire to make this forum even better, have good writing skills and work well with others, please reply to this thread or send us an email -- Letters to Garden Web.

Comments (6)

• alex_7b
    13 years ago

Wouldn't someone need to be a Master Gardener to do this?

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I think you're confused with the term 'Master Gardener', alex. This is a title conferred on interested amateur gardeners who undergo a series of classes led by the Extension employees in their area. It does not necessarily mean proficiency, experience, or talent but a serious enough interest to sit though the classes. If a person attends the classes and pays attention, they should have gained quite a bit of good information when they are finished with the program.

It's a good program, but the name is misleading. I've spoken to quite a few 'Master Gardeners' who are uncomfortable with the title.

But, anyway! Yes, I totally agree with you that those who volunteer for this activity should have good, general horticulture knowledge. Excellent written communication skills might even be more important. And I hope that a FAQ section wouldn't become a 'Facts According to (fill in the name)' section, if you know what I mean?

So has anyone jumped up to volunteer, yet, Alabama gardeners? 'Cause I'll volunteer to help the volunteer. I''ll bet that many of us would lend support.

• tsmith2579
    13 years ago

I think the first FAQ should be: When is the average first and last frost in my area.

• susanhorn
    13 years ago

I'm new to this forum, but interested. I have good writing skills, moderate computer skills, many years' organic gardening experience. Much of it in LA (Lower Alabama, aka Florida Panhandle) and some of it in Alabama proper -- Montgomery, Jasper, Marion Junction. Am in the process of starting a small organic farm in Perry County and working to establish a support network of other organic gardeners and small scale organic farmers, also hoping to learn from experienced conventional growers who know about working that prairie clay.

My experience is mostly in herbs, greens, a few veggies and flowers. Some knowledge in areas of shrubs, ornamentals.

How much time would this job require?

• gwtamara
    12 years ago

Hi Rhizo and Susan,

We are finally able to add new FAQ editors and I would like to know if you are still interested in working on the FAQ for this forum.

Could you drop me an email via my profile link and let me know either way?

Thanks so much!

With best regards,

Tamara Amey
    GardenWeb Community Producer

• catbird
    12 years ago

I agree that a lot of us would be glad to help the FAQ editor, but can't take on the lead responsibility. Hope it will work out. There are basic questions that crop up a lot and it would be nice to have a section for that.

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz