Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hellebores, when,where,and if to plant?

Posted by gruber 7-8 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 13 at 22:43

Have any of y'all had experience with Hellebores , I have a lot of shade and was thinking about trying some?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hellebores, when,where,and if to plant?

• Posted by nelson 8 in Alabama (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 23, 13 at 22:59

Try 'em - I think you'll do great. I've had success growing them under a huge oak where they get partial/full-sun in the fall & winter/, and partial/full shade in the spring/summer. I've only grown the "metallic lady" series, though, and they're in tough, dry shade during the growing season. A little supplemental watering is always crucial in this setting, IMO.

If you can keep them hydrated during the driest of summer months, don't hesitate to try them. They'll reward you in late winter with much-needed, colorful blooms!

Nelson

o

Hey, thanks for your come back, can I plant 'em this fall?

o

Absolutely, you can plant them this fall. Just keep them watered since it can be dry, and any dry shady areas around trees can add to your dryness problem. Try some that have some lime green in the leaf color if you have a lot of shade. It really makes a color statement along with the purple-leaf varieties. There are also caramel-leaf colors that are beautiful. 'Alabama Sunrise' is a favorite bi-color variety of mine, and not just because of the name!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here