Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
idig

newbie question

idig
15 years ago

I was just reading over people's trade lists and saw one that says "please don't show up with things dug at the last minute and expect to trade for things I have been tending for months". Weelll, I am a newbie and intended to dig and divide after this rain tomorrow, which will be last minute, is that a problem for everyone?

Comments (9)

• pfllh
    15 years ago

I didn't see that but maybe can explain. Sometimes if dug at the last minute, night before swap, the plants are in shock and sometimes don't make it. If you dig Wed. leaving some dirt on the roots, pot up and put in shaded area and water good but not sloppy wet. Plants should be OK.
    You may want to write whoever wrote this.
    Lynn

• idig
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I am just new to the swap and don't know the expectations. I will leave dirt on and pot in good soil and water with root stimulator to reduce shock. I don't have a swap with the person who wrote this and certainly don't blame them for wanting something equal to what they have to offer, I just thought I better make sure what is expected. Thanks for the reply! Shana

• pfllh
    15 years ago

Shana, perhaps I can explain a little more. Some plants are very hard to transplant. Out of a group, depending on how you do it, only a few survive. For me, I have to do alstromeria way in advance. They do not like disturbed at all. Other plants are just as touchy.
    Don't worry about it as you'll learn as you go.
    Lynn

• tedevore
    15 years ago

I have had to dig and pot up stuff at the last minute (although I try not to)
    and some things I have brought looked droopy, but I don't think anybody has really minded--we all trade good plants, and many us of don't care as much
    about getting new plants--we have TOO MUCH stuff and are happy to share and give away extras. I will be bringing extra stuff that needed dividing, and I bet you'll be surprised at all the stuff people have to give. For people starting out and starting over, I don't think you can do better than our swaps. I've been given new plants I would have never tried or found in nurseries that are my favorites now. The only downside is that half of my two car garage is now full of tender semi-tropical stuff every winter :-)

Todd

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

Todd, I got some ferns one year from you that were kind of droopy but they perked right back up with some good ole southern love! Good southern soil and water.

Jill

• idig
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Most of what I offered is pretty tough since I didn't discover the swap until last month and wouldn't have time to root cuttings or pamper anything picky. Plus I don't grow as many picky things as I used to. Between kids, work, and droughts, I tend to lean towards plants that will survive periodic neglect:-)The only thing I am bringing that are likely to droop are the 'Coral Nymph' and they will perk back up. I transplanted some in July and they weren't happy at first but are doing great now.

I look forward to meeting other plant lovers and seeing what everyone has to share! Thanks folks, Shana

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    15 years ago

OK I have been reading sience I was directed to this site earlier today. I must say I am very excited about saturday. I don't have anything to trade but would Love any shade loving plants you would care for me to take off your hands.

• tedevore
    15 years ago

littlehelper, although people like giving some extra stuff away if they have it, the
    whole idea of the event is a swap--so you can even if you don't have plants, you can bring plastic nursery pots, mulch, garden magazines, supplies, kids books, etc. to offer. Folks are generous to people who try to bring something.

• loveofmylife680
    15 years ago

littlehelper I will have some baby hardy begonia for you. You will love the swap.
    Jill

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting