Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passion Flower in Alabama!!! ???

Posted by scandia 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 4, 07 at 23:54

I have Passion flower growing on the back of my property..What is STRANGE about this is that it is growing in the wild part. Meaning, the part of the property where I do not and have not planted anything..I looked it up and found that this plant grows in south america..Is passion flower suppose to be growing in northern Alabama naturally???How did it get there if I did not plant it?? Is it possible the birds brought it up??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passion Flower in Alabama!!! ???

Passiflora incarnata is native .

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora species/HortiPlex

o

Thank You..I guess I looked at the wrong site to find information about this...The pictures on the first site you gave me "native" is the exact flower I have, Passiflora incarnata, purple passion flower..It is not blooming anymore. I moved one into my flower garden, originally it appeared to be dead but has come back and is thriving...No blooms though...matter of fact it is growing all over the place. I cannot seem to get it to climb, so it is just growing along the ground. Any advice anyone may have about this plant...would be greatly appreciated..

o

they can become weedy by sending out underground runners some distance from the original plant so maybe put it where you don't mind when it does. the flowers are lovely and complex. it is a host plant for a butterfly larvae (the gulf fritillary, i think) and you can eat the fruit(seed capsules inside) when it ripens after the skin turns yellowish green and shrivels somewhat. they will die to the ground in winter and return from the roots in late spring.

o

I grew up in NE Alabama and hoed many a row of cotton. We had to weed out passion flowers (Maypops) and would beg my father to let us leave some for the fall when we could "pop" the fruit with our feet. I have always loved the flower. As a little girl, my sister and I would make "dolls" from the flower. Neat native plant. I don't know how it got started here. That would be a good research project. I think Kudzo was brough here from China or Japan as an irragation plant. What a disaster!

linda2222

o

According to the USDA Plants database, here is the "natural" distribution for passionflower in AL.

Here is a link that might be useful: Distribution

o

Linda2222...sounds like you and I grew up in the same area. I grew up on Sand Mountain and we had Passionflower there, as well. I always loved the story of how the stamen represented the 5 loaves and 2 fishes in the Bible. We had Maypop wars...yup...sometimes it wasn't too pleasant but it was a lot of fun!

Beverly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here