Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Viburnum rufidulum

Posted by hortman_2006 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 24, 06 at 0:18

Why hasn't Viburnum rufidulum gotten more publicity? It would make a great alternative to Cornus florida. It has everything you want. It has pretty flowers, attractive blue berries, and very good fall color. To top it off, it's drought tolerant too. What more could you want?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Viburnum rufidulum

There is a vicious circle of supply and demand. The nurseries are loath to expend space, time, and materials on a plant that very few people are asking for. And no one is going to ask for a plant that they are not able to see in all of its glory in their neighbor's yards, in the garden centers, or in that new commercial landscape in the middle of town.

A plant with little or no recognition factor for the general public is not likely to be snapped up at the big box stores where there is no one to extol its virtues.

And unless a plant does very well for a long period of time in a container, in a garden center environment, it is not likely to decorate our urban landscapes.

Sad, but true.

o

• Posted by nelson 7b in Alabama (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 24, 06 at 20:35

rhizo,

You are so right, "sad, but true", which is why I go out of my way to compliment nursery owners who dare to go out on a "financial limb" by bringing in the new & unusual. It is also why more and more of my plant dollars are being spent on-line.

I want my local nurseries to thrive, but my loyalty only goes so far ;-)

Nelson

o

Rhizo,
You are right but I wasn't talking about nurseries. It's the media that creates interest in plants. I have a friend that ownes a large nursery. He said that as soon as Southern Living features a plant then everybody is dying to get it. So what I am saying is, why hasn't this plant gotten any attention?

o

Hey, Hortman. Email me off forum, when you get a chance. I've got a proposition for you.

o

I agree about the wonderful ornamental charateristics of V. rufidulum! Even in midsummer it has the glossiest leaves imaginable which remain so through fall coloration. I witnessed a wild growing plant in full fall color once and it was a beautiful SHINY red! This same plant is now gone due to the developement of a gaudy subdivision. It is truly a shame to think people are filling their gardens with Bradford Pears and Forsythia when plants like Rusty Blackhaw are out there!

o

This is where botanical gardens can be a true help. They not only test how well a plant will grow in an area's climate, but serve to display that plant and may also serve as a distribution point!

BTW I will be planting 4 kinds of Viburnum seeds this spring!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here