Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hortman_2006

Dwarf Pawpaw

hortman_2006
17 years ago

I found a colony of Asimina parviflora 'dwarf pawpaw' growing in east-central Alabama within a couple hundred yards of the Chattahoochee river. Has anyone found them growing in other parts of the state? They are cool plants with their tropical looking leaves contrasting with the cinnamon colored stems. I can take some pictures if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Comments (5)

• madabouteu
    17 years ago

I've not seen any - ever - but really want to get some started. Were there any seeds to collect?

• tedposey
    17 years ago

I've tried twice to get a start of pawpaws, once from plants purchased from Guerneys and once from transplanted wild ones. Both times they lived thrpugh the first year but died during the second.
    I'd like to see your pics and also like some seeds if practible. Thanks

• Iris GW
    17 years ago

We've rescued some of the dwarf ones on properties north of metro Atlanta. Not all of them survive the transplant, but some have. Their flowers are so tiny compared to Asimina triloba! I haven't gotten them to fruit yet.

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

Hortman,
    I've got an A.parviflora selection I made from the population of wild plants growing on my parents' farm just outside of Auburn, AL.
    I have it grafted onto seedling A.triloba rootstock, and it has been growing, flowering, and fruiting here in KY for a number of years. I've even shared scionwood with friends in PA & MI - don't know if it's fruited for either of those guys, but a couple of years back, the MI grower had a late freeze that burned the leaves off all his A.triloba selections, but the A.parviflora was unscathed, even though it had already leafed out.

My selection, named "Trash Pile" is a heavy fruiter - small 1-1.5" fruits festooned all along the branches, rather than in 'hands', like A.triloba. Not much in the way of edible pulp, as there's just a small rim of it surrounding the 2-6 seeds contained in the center. I'm growing mine for sentimental reasons.

A.parviflora is self-fertile.

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

It has been more that 40 years ago, but there were dwarf pawpaws growing in the Ketona community, outside Tarrant City when I was a teenager. Those woods, fields and pastures have been developed for industry so much I doubt there are any left. The pawpaws were in a rocky pasture with limestone outcroppings, very thin layer of poor soil. I don't remember any of the bushes being more than waist high if they got that tall. I tramped, played and hunted in the pastures and hills of East and North Jefferson county all my life and those were the only pawpaws I remember seeing in that area. The next time I out that way which is once ot twice a month, I'll try to drive by to see if the field is intact. - Terry

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting