Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

If You Attended Sept 9 Swap at Wind Creek

tsmith2579
13 years ago

Has anyone had stomach flu-like symptoms since the Wind Creek Park plant swap? Starting Oct 8 I became ill with diarrhea, achy joints, general weakness and darkened urine. After two weeks of illness I went to the doctor (virals get better after 7-10 days). I was diagnosed with Type-A hepatitis. The good news is that you will get better, most people never suffer any lasting side effects and you will have a lifelong immunity. I have only eaten at the company cafeteria (no illness reported), Sho-Nuff BBQ in Alex City, CiCi's Pizza and a local Mexican restaurant. No one else in my household is ill. I'm getting stronger but it is a slow recovery.

Comments (26)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Oh, my goodness! I wish you a speedy recovery, Terry. Take good care of yourself.

Dorie

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Dorie. This is probably the longest I've ever been ill in my life. If only we could give this to al Qaeda and the Taliban. The Afghan war would be over in two weeks. By the way, the good Lord is looking out for me. I have the roof off the greenhouse (I am replacing it)and luckily we haven't had a frost.

• catbird
    13 years ago

My stars, Terry! What a bummer -- to say the least. I hope you recover quickly. If you gotta have hepatitis, apparently A is the one to have and should clear up before too long. From what I've read, the incubation period is 15-45 days with 4 weeks being the average, so you must have gotten it around the time of the swap. If any of the rest of us got it at the same time, we would have developed some symptoms by now, so guess I'm in the clear. Hope everyone else is.

GET WELL SOON!

Alice

P.S. The swap was on 9-11, my anniversary. :-)

• ourhighlandhome
    13 years ago

Terry,

I'm sorry to hear about this, but glad you're getting better. Hopefully you'll be one of those who never experience another side-effect. (It was probably just the close proximity to Auburn that induced these symptoms anyway!)

After some food-borne hepatitis scare a few years ago I asked my doctor to immunize me against ANY hepatitis virus he could. I can't remember which ones it was (A, B or C, X, Y or Z), and I had to end up paying for them with no help from my insurance, but I'm glad I did.

Now, if I go to taco-smaco and eat green onions that were grown using human feces, I'm protected from everything but the nausea that comes from knowing I've eaten human sh!t. In today's world, everyone should do the same.

Wishing you a speedy recovery and the best as always,

Nelson

• john_trussville
    13 years ago

Terry: sorry to hear about your illness. hope you get to feeling better soon.

Nelson: gee thanks, unless I always remember to say "hold the onions", taco-smaco will never taste the same again.

• gardenjewel
    13 years ago

Wow, sorry to hear about your illness Terry. I have also been vaccinated...I at times have worked with human blood products so my job covered it....guess I am safe to eat sh*t also.
    I hope you recover quickly and completely!
    Julia

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, the x-rays, blood tests and urinalysis tests results are in. The have now ruled out hepatitis A, B and C. The have now discounted the possibility of Hep D & E. Now the bad news is there are many other possibilities for what is making me sick. I went last Monday for an abdominal ultrasound. That is both good and could be bad news. I went to a gastroenterologist doctor Wednesday and he sent me for a CT scan Saturday morning. I have almost a yellow aura but I am a little feeling better daily. Symptoms are slowly leaving but my energy level is zero. Except for time spent going to the doctor, I've been able to work every day. Thanks for everyone's concern.

• catbird
    13 years ago

Terry: How're ya doin'? I hope you're feeling better and that they've found that something easily curable caused it all.

Alice

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you to everyone who has sent an email to ask about my illness. I'm still not feeling good. The doctor called late Thursday afternoon. He said the CT scan showed bile duct is dilated. I am scheduled for an ERCP (endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography) on Monday. It is a tube down the throat and just past the stomach outlet. According to Wikipedia this procedure will allow them to see the problem and they also have options to clean out the duct, possibly remove stones or insert a stint. The results were a relief. My dad had colon cancer and then died with stomach cancer. Military Region 1 in Vietnam was sprayed with some of the highest concentrations of Agent Orange in Vietnam. I am still as weak as a kitten. I'm as yellow as a Shell oil sign. I've lost 20-25 pounds and my toilet paper budget has tripled. There has not been a moment when I felt "good", only time when I felt better than an hour ago or yesterday. I have new respect for those people who are sick for months with chemotherapy. If this procedure fixes things, hopefully it will be a fast recovery. BTW, this is the only thing they can find wrong except for high blood pressure. I am confident that by SPring I will have bounced back. The next time you see me, I'll be several punds lighter. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts an prayer. Hopefully, I'll have more good news late Monday.

• catbird
    13 years ago

Terry: You'll be in our thoughts and prayers tomorrow and we'll be eager to hear how the procedure goes. Glad you explained what an "endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatograph" is. Guess it's not quite as bad as it sounds. ;-)

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers. My common bile duct was obstructed with a small growth. The doctor removed the growth and inserted a stint to keep it open. I stayed home Tuesday to regain some strength which had seriously wained over the weekend. The tissue removed has been sent for lab review but the doctor doesn't foresee any problems. I am much better tonight and I plan to go to work Wednesday. I'm told it may take weeks to regain strength, endurance and that horrid golden skin color. Thank you all for your pryaers, friendship and concern.

• ourhighlandhome
    13 years ago

Hey Terry,

It's meeeee...! Glad to hear the doc's have you all figured out and that you're on the mend. I can't believe you've worked through all of this, but that just shows your character - you're "good people".

Do remember, however, that a lot of white folks pay to have a "golden skin color", so enjoy it while it's free!

Tell Sylvia "Hello", pat Smokey for me, and enjoy your recovery. Those who know you are relieved.

Nelson

• catbird
    13 years ago

Terry: Thanks for the update. At least it was something fixable -- not hepatitis C. Any idea what caused the growth? Hope the recovery goes smoothly and that you'll be up to potting plants for us soon! ;-) Alice

• browneyedsusan_gw
    13 years ago

I'm glad you are feeling better.
    Susan.

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for everyone's kind wishes and concerns. Alice, I have no idea what caused the growth. It blocked the common bile duct which backed up the liver, gall bladder and pancreas. While in Vietnam I was located in one of the areas most saturated with the defoliant Agent Orange. I have figured for the last 40 years that I am a walking toxic time bomb, ready to explode and kill weeds with my body fluids. Two good friends, both Vietnam veterans, died of liver cancer related to Agent Orange.

• lsmcw
    13 years ago

Terry, Just now reading this - have an ailing Mother plus working and have had no time off for a while. I'm so sorry you've had such a hard time but maybe now you will mend quickly and be ready for the spring swap. With all the weight loss and "new complection" we may not recognize you so be sure and wear a name tag !! Linda

• tedevore
    13 years ago

Terry,

We are so relieved you have some resolution and should be be able to get back
    to fun stuff. Hope to see you soon.

Todd

• Frog_hollow_lady
    13 years ago

OMG Terry, I just got on GW since you came to the house..I have been so wrapped up in my problems (yes same ones we talked about)That I haven't even checked this thing...
    Lord I'm so sorry this has happened to you!!! Makes my problems a drop in the bucket! But I'm so happy that you're o.k...I think about you at least once a week walking around the Gh's thinking of what you may want...since you didn't take anything..LOL
    Man-o-man....I'm glad your better..
    Please if you need anything, drop me a line..not like I'm doing much..LOL
    Oh I got my racing pig a playmate...so the next time you come down, you will have two racing you from the GH's..LOL LOL

• knabstruper
    13 years ago

Hi Terry,

I hope your surgery goes well. Julia told me what was happening yesterday. Take care of yourself and we will see you at the spring swap!

Patty

• catbird
    13 years ago

What surgery??? Don't leave the rest of us hanging like that. Please bring us up to date.

Whatever it was, I hope it went well.

Alice

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm having major surgery on Monday, Dec. 6. It is a BIG surgery to remove a very tiny cancer. It is called a Whipple procedure. They slice and dice and rearrage my insides because the ampulla (valve where common bile duct empties into the duodenum) must be removed due to a few cancer cells. The will remove part of the duodenum, the middle third of the pancreas and lover stomach so they can MAKE ROOM to reattach the bile duct from the pancreas,gall bladder and liver. I'll be in the hospital for 7-10 days. It will be about 3-4 weeks for recovery. It will be the longest vacation I've ever taken. I should be fully recovered by the spring swap. I've already lost 25 lbs and I'll probably lose another 20 -30 lbs by New Year. Please keep me in your prayers.

• catbird
    13 years ago

Good grief, Charlie Brown!!! I know you're feeling really rotten today, but hope things improve as quickly as possible. You'll definitely be in our thoughts and prayers. We'll be eager to hear from you as soon as you feel up to it. Keep us posted.

Alice

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I'm sure you feel all of the warm and strong thoughts being sent your way, Terry. You're being thought of often.

Dorie

• ourhighlandhome
    13 years ago

I don't know how many folks got this devastating notice, so I'm posting it here. I just read it myself and am stunned...

Good Afternoon,
    My name is Robyn, I am Terry's daughter. It is with a very heavy heart that I am writing to let you know that he passed away last night.
    He had surgery on Monday, and seemed to be recovering really well, but on Tuesday afternoon, he took a turn for the worse and the doctors were unable to figure out what was causing his downhill turn and how to reverse it.
    We have just gotten back from making his arrangements and I wanted to write and let you know what they are.
    Visitation is Friday from 5-7 p.m. @ People's Funeral Home on Brooklane in Hueytown
    Services are Saturday morning at 10 a.m. in the chapel at People's with burial services @ Forest Grove in Pleasant Grove to follow.
    I would appreciate it if you could pass the word along to any of the GardenWeb buddies that he knew.
    This was a very sudden loss for us and we will miss him dearly.
    Thank you,
    Robyn Willis
    205-383-5321 cell
    205-664-3802 home
    mom42girls@gmail.com

• catbird
    13 years ago

Rest in Peace, Terry.

• plantcrazy222
    13 years ago

Rest in peace Terry.

Sponsored