Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pineapple Gauva

Posted by fredw10 z8 AL (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 24, 06 at 9:32

I recently purchased Pineapple Guava tree. I understand it is cold hardy to 15F. Who has experience with this tree, and what are your suggestions about the need to protect it during very cold weather?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pineapple Gauva

I have a pineapple guava. I live in Alabama in zone 8. I have had my pinappble guava's for about 10 years. Last year was the first time I noticed a few pineapple guava's on the bush. This year we had more fruit on the bush. I gave some of the fruit to friends to taste and they liked the taste of the fruit. I thought the fruit tasted like pears and strawberries mixed. I have never protected my bushes. I have never experienced a winter that was below 15F in our area. This site may be helpful to you. http://crfg.org/pubs/ff/feijoa.html I am a snowbird so what rain we have in the summer is the only water the bush gets in the summer. I have never fertilized my bush. I read on this site about the fertilizer for the bush. It may help produce more fruit. The bush or tree (mine looks more like a bush) is slow growing. The flowers on the pineapple guava are pretty. I prune my pineapple guava bushes. I have two pineapple guava's bushes. Have a nice day

o
RE: Pineapple Gauva

Your chances of harvesting fruit are improved if you have two overlapping cultivars to cross pollinate each other.

To protect from severe weather, especially this first winter that 'they' are promising will be a cold one, make sure that your shrub is well mulched. You might even use more mulch than you ordinarily would, just to give those roots some protection. When severe weather is forecasted, cover your shrub with a sheet or any other organic material. By 'organic' I mean something that is a natural fiber or material, NEVER use plastic (which increases the chance of tissue damage).

Oh, and make sure that your plant is deeply watered prior to that extra cold spell. A day or two in advance will give it time to get water to all of the cells, and extra precaution for those plants that are able to make what I call 'plant anti-freeze'. They can't do it without water in the cells.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here