Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colabama

hummers gone?

colabama
18 years ago

haven't seen any hummingbirds now in about 2 weeks.should i pack up the feeder for the winter? tia for any info.

Comments (10)

• rjbman
    18 years ago

We had one sitting on the feeder yesterday here in Glencoe. We usually have several around the various feeders. I think this last little chill at nite may have persuaded them to begin their migration.

rj

• outsideplaying_gw
    18 years ago

I haven't seen any here either (NE Morgan County), but am leaving the feeder up since it's been so warm. We might get a few headed south from places up nawth.

• BDnBAMA
    18 years ago

Haven't seen any in the last 2 weeks but left the feeders up just in case thee was a late one & yes, I had one filling up today. I think I will leave them up until the 1st of Nov. Betty

• mimidi
    18 years ago

I am near Dothan and have not seen a hummer in over 3 weeks. I think that are gone. It will not hurt to leave out a feeder for a few more weeks just in case one comes by. I have plenty of flowers still blooming to take care of a stragler.

• eskimobaby87
    18 years ago

My hummers are gone too. Have ya'll seen any of the golden finches yet? I've had a feeder up for a while because I usually get gobs of the little fellas in the winter but I haven't seen one yet.

• daphne35
    18 years ago

Bob Sargent--federally licensed hummingbird expert in Clay Alabama recommends that we leave at least one hummingbird feeder out all winter long. Remember to change the syrup frequently though--you may get a bird staying over for the season and/or a rarity who has strayed or been blown off the usual migratory course. For more information on this check with Bob's website at Rubythroat@aol.com--he can supply all kinds of info regarding birds (hummers are his specialty) plus pictures. If you are lucky enough to have an overwintering bird--call Bob and he will come and tag it for the birding research studies.

• colabama
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks everyone for all your good information!

• tsmith2579
    18 years ago

Is anyone growing Malvaviscus arboreus, sleeping hibiscus or Turk's turban? This was my first summer season to grow it. When the hummers came through a few weeks ago, they loved this plant. I'm definitely spreading it throughout the garden area. On hummer loved it so much that he did some serious feeding 6 feet from me while I watered one afternoon. has anyone else had s similar experience. Cut and paste the URL below to get info on
    www.wildflower2.org/NPIN/Plants/Detail.asp?Scientific_Name=Malvaviscus%20arboreus

Terry

• kumquat12
    18 years ago

Note: they love hot dry climates, and their roots are tough. It takes an atomic bomb to remove one completely once established. That is good for a natural fence. I love them. We used to pick the flowers and sip the nectar. I taught my granddaughter to do the same.

• Casa_Del_Gatos
    18 years ago

"If you are lucky enough to have an overwintering bird--call Bob and he will come and tag it for the birding research studies."

Wow, this guy must be good. I can't even catch our hummers with a camera, let alone tag them!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting