Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindylou111

Crape Mrtyle- Raspberry Sundae/Peppermint Lace

cindylou111
17 years ago

I have been researching for the last 2 weeks all the different varities of Crapes and there are many. I have finally decided to go with the Natchez but I am also interested in a splash of color here and there. Does anyone have these (subject line)? Are they mildew resistant as they say they are? I live near Ft Payne and I read an article that said they were not as mildew restisant here as they were in Ok and Florida. Please send pictures if you have them. My house is red brick with white trim so I am trying to get a coordinated look.

Thanks Nomad

Comments (6)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Any information that I have indicates only fair PM resistance, at best. Actually, one several year study from U. of A. rated Raspberry Sundae very poorly for both PM AND the other disease that affects crape myrtles: Cercospora leaf spot. I've never grown either of them personally...since they are not L. faureii X indica crosses, they won't have that lovely bark, terrific fall color, and very doubtful disease resistance. Much of the reason why I would plant crapes in the first place is because of the beautiful addition they make to the WINTER garden. Again, it's that hybridization of faureii and indica that make those 'native American' crapes so outstanding.

As far as color goes, think in terms of soft pastels, and you won't need to worry about clashing with the red brick.

• cindylou111
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you for responding Rhizo. I want to plant crapes because they will take the full sun and that is all I have. They are my husbands favorite tree. They bloom a good portion of the summer and have 3 seasons of interest. I personally do not like pastel colors even in painting the interior of my home. But upon further research I guess its either white or pink or lavendar. Its is starting to get cold here so I guess I better decide pretty quick. I have a lot of work to do if I plan on planting 20 trees.
    Thanks again,
    Nomad

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

:-) I think that Crape Myrtles have Four seasons of interest! As long as they aren't chopped back like some people do, their winter form is wonderful!

You know, some folks don't worry about the color of their house when selecting a flowering shrub or tree. But I think that you would be happy with a medium or pale pink choice.

Speaking of color, I am trying to track down the name of a Crape myrtle with blooms the color of grape jelly or grape soda! My husband and I observed three or four around town this summer and went nuts over them. So, WE are on a mission, too!

• cindylou111
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Rhizo,
    In my research about crapes I came across someone discussing the fact that they too had seen those most beautiful deep purple crape. I found it in this forum from a few years back. People suggested she go and ask people and no one knew it was there when they bought the house. So they suggested cuttings etc. Anyway so I thought I w ould look that up for you because they had some pictures of deep purple crapes but I couldn't find it. I did find a wonderful picture of one on this website: http://dAVESGARDEN.COM/PF/SHOWIMAGE/45728/.
    As for color of the house I found this the morning about color and I agree. I am a Libra and I like balance as in the article. http://msucares.com/lawnlandscape/design/color.html
    I think I have decided on Arapaho for the left corner of the house and the Natchez in front but limit it to 3 in a semi-circle.
    Also because I was looking these things up I came across a few people on the gardenweb that thought the company I was going to buy the crapes from are not very reputable so I am glad I researched this more. Also, they gave the website gardenwatchdog.com to find good and reliable and honest businesses.

• lonestarlady
    17 years ago

Gardeningmaniac, I have a beautiful crape myrtle...Red Rocket...at my home in Texas. We get lots of compliments on it, although it's still a very young tree, and not very large. Perhaps this red would work for you. The Red Rocket appears to be very hardy so far, and I have had no problems with mildew.

{{gwi:368283}}

• cindylou111
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Lonestarlady,
    Your red rocket is beautiful and I would have considered getting one if they had one in Lowe's or HD. I bought mine yesterday. I bought Natchez for the front and an Arapho for the corner of the yard. They are both National Arborteum award winners for mildew resitance, etc. They say they grow fast and I sure hope so. It is suppose to freeze her Monday night so I better get out there and start digging. Nomad

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County