Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to cut banana trees?

Posted by raestr z8 Central Ala (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 6, 05 at 13:08

This is my first year growing bananas. I bought one at HD this year for $13.99. It has green and purple leaves. It has done superbly and is now taller than the roof of my single floor 1970s ranch house and has several pups. When do I cut the stalks down (or do I) and what do I mulch it with? Can I just put a bunch of oak leaves over it? I have plenty of those.

Thanks,
Rae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to cut banana trees?

Rae,

Watch out! Growing banana plants is very addicting.

You should really go over to the Banana forum for info from the experts (some of them are here also!) My advice is to do nothing until the real cold comes. When the leaves die, cut it down and mulch heavily (I like cedar). It will come back with a vengeance in the spring. Or you could overwinter it if you have a good sized, dry basement where you can store it with the leaves cut off. There are ways to overwinter in the ground also.

I would first dig up the pups and pot them for inside, then plant them outside next year. You will quickly have more banana plants than you can imagine!

Search in the banana forum for "overwinter" and "separate pups" and you will get all the information you need.

Here is a link that might be useful: Banana Forum

o

I never cut them until after the first frost has turned the leaves brown. Then I cut them back to a few inches tall, build a wire fence around them and fill the fence with chopped leaves. Usually by March they begin to shoot up through the leaves.

o

• Posted by GAAlan z8 Atlanta (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 18, 05 at 17:15

Do the tops of your plant's leaves have splashes of red? I wonder, from your green on purple description, if you might have Musa acuminata v. zebrina. If so, its possible it won't be hardy in the ground. What is the lowest temp you normally have there? I think just a few days with lows in the low 20s could be deadly for this banana. You need to know exactly which banana you have to be sure to take the proper course of action.

I left a Zebrina out here, a couple winters ago, and it did not survive. My lowest temp that year was 18F. Unfortunately, some of the most attractive bananas are usually the least hardy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here