Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tufaleaf

What is that fragrance?

tufaleaf
17 years ago

For about the past week, after the soon goes down about 7:30 or later, I have noticed a wonderful fragrance in the air. I don't smell it during the early mornings or during the day.

I don't see anything blooming - no sweet autumn clematis, no gardenias in late flower.

I live in Oneonta. Whatever it is, I sure would like to have some closer to my house!

Carol

Comments (11)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

Does someone have Tea Olive nearby (Osmanthus fragrans). Their flowers are so small that they go unnoticed. Actually any of the osmanthus would attract your attention. They bloom during the fall and winter in most locations.

Eleagnus might be another possibility. I don't think loquat grows in your location, does it? Hmmmmmmm...nice fragrance!

• tufaleaf
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I remember loquats from our days in South Alabama and you are right - they smell so good.

Is eleagnus blooming now? I leave for work before the sun is up and get home after the sun is down. I haven't even noticed if our hedge is blooming!!!!

Tea Olive - I have one in a pot but I think it usually blooms later in the year about the same time as my Daphne.

I'm going to check the eleagnus and I'll keep you posted.

Carol

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

Ohh. A nice fragrance.
    I thought maybe someone in the neighborhood had a fruiting female gingko. LOL Eau de dog poo.

17 years ago

Ah, mais oui! That special scent that ALL discerning dogs just LOVE to roll in!

• wannab
    17 years ago

We arrived in Lillian (our winter home) on Sunday and our Tea Olive is in full bloom. After the rain yesterday, it's wonderful fragrance is like a Welcome Back message to us from our garden.

• jeff_al
    17 years ago

a couple of other possibilites for late-season fragrance could be a ginger plant or four-o-clocks.
    i am inclined to guess tea olive or eleagnus for "wafting" potential, though.
    anyone near you have a night-blooming cereus cactus?

• Josh
    17 years ago

I think Pittosporum bloomed about now in my old garden. Lovely scent which traveled well on warm evenings. Do you or your neighbors have this plant? josh

17 years ago

Josh, that would be another blooming anolomy, since Pittosporum normally bloom in the Spring. They remind me of the fragrance of orange blossoms.

• tufaleaf
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I finally got to check for the tiny eleagnus blooms and that is what I am smelling! We have new neighbors and they planted a whole hedge of eleagnus that is much closer to the house than our hedge is.

It makes me want to sit outside all evening.

Carol

17 years ago

;-) I agree. It's a wonderful aroma....delicious! And those late season honeybees LOOOOOOVE eleagnus!! Uglyagnes, as we used to call it, lol!

• Josh
    17 years ago

Thanks, Rhizo, for the correction on Pittosporum blooming in Spring rather than Fall. Should have checked my old garden journal...LOL The scent did indeed smell citrusy. josh

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!