Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flanders Poppies

Posted by TSmith2579 Z7B/8A-Alabama (tsmith2579@msn.com) on
Mon, Oct 3, 05 at 13:42

I have loved poppies ever since I was a child. I remember when the Disabled Veterans use to sell the poppies around Memorial Day for 10 cents and I always had to have one. I have received a number of free seed packets of poppies which all say to plant in late Fall or early Spring. Has anyone planted poppies? When is the best time to plant them? Any tips?

A number of years ago Southern Living had an article about a lady in Homewood who had Flanders poppies. It seems her brother fought in World War 1 and gathered seeds before he left Europe. They were forgotten and were in his uniform pocket for many years before they found and planted. The descendants of those seeds were still growing in her yard after 60 years. As I get older, I more and more appreciate things like heirloom poppies and plants. And who can forget the poem,

In Flanders Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders Fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders Fields.

-- John McCrae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flanders Poppies

Flanders poppies,Papaver rhoeas performs best if sown in late fall in
the southern regions of the U.S.

The red Flanders poppy was first described as a flower of remembrance by Colonel John McCrae, who was Professor of Medicine at McGill University of Canada before World War One. Colonel McCrae had served as a gunner in the Boer War, but went to France in World War One as a medical Officer with the first Canadian Contingent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waregem, Belgium

o

An often forgotten flower. Drought tolerant, too much water and it will rot. Sunny location ,but not overly fond of heat. A plant that is compatible among your garden veggies giving an extra flower to enjoy that you may not else where want to grow.
As a youngster this plant was a favorite of my Aunts who lived between Moody and Odenville. It grew amongst their veggies in a large garden. Great eye appeal, Great memory.
GREAT POST ,by TSmith...........thanks

o

Tribute to Mr. Smith, my dad and all the American Veterans.

thanks again TSmith2579..... Freedom does not come easy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here