Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherylfawnp_gw

Where can I buy deodar cedar?

cherylfawnp
13 years ago

Hey everyone,

I live in south Alabama and was wondering if anyone knew where I could buy a deodar cedar (preferably golden or weeping). Thanks.

Comments (5)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Those beautiful trees aren't the typical retail nursery stock, sad to say. If you know of a good landscaping company or privately owned garden center, perhaps you can get someone to special order you one from one of the wholesale nurseries/growers. ANY woody plant that we have ever added to the yard comes directly from growers, but my husband and I both still have wholesale privileges at the nurseries.

You might also call your local extension office to see if they have a list of nurseries/growers in your area.
    Perhaps there's a nursery/grower nearby that will sell to the retail trade. It NEVER hurts to call and ask!

Attached is a link to the South Alabama Nursery Association, where you can click on the container grown trees AND the field grown trees sections. I expect that your tree, when you find it, will come as a container grown plant. As I recall, Deodars do not take well to the transplanting process of being field grown and dig.

Good luck and let us know where you find your tree. I'm sure that others will want to know.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

• Scott B
    7 years ago

I'm in central Alabama and need about 6 Deodar Cedars. Did you find a supplier? I need mature trees 6-10 foot.

• ourhighlandhome
    7 years ago

Hanna's Garden Shop in Birmingham usually has several deodar cedars, including the golden and weeping forms. I bought "Feeling Sunny" and "Feeling Blue" there, along with most everything else in my yard. I highly recommend them.

Click on the link below, go to "What's In Store", and click on "Evergreens" for a list of their current inventory. Hope this helps....

Hanna's Garden Shop

• Scott B
    7 years ago

Thanks! What size were yours when you bought them and how tall are they now?

• ourhighlandhome
    7 years ago

"Sunny" was about 2-ft. tall / 3-ft. wide. Purchased healthy, but died suddenly last spring after one year (maybe the excessive heat we've been experiencing?) "Feeling Blue" was about 2'x2' when purchased; very "anemic" and sickly. In time it has perked up, now planted in-ground and looking good. It has put on several inches of new growth this spring horizontally, but will probably remain at 2-ft. tall indefinitely.

Call Hanna's, speak to Martin, and tell him that we need more of these hard-to-find cultivars. Was there yesterday and spotted aralia 'Spinosa' for the first time. Yes, it has it's drawbacks, but if you have room it is an extremely beneficial plant for bees/pollinators and, later, birds. I'm going back this week to purchase one. Call me crazy.....

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions