Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
browneyedsusan_gw

confederate rose

browneyedsusan_gw
14 years ago

A double pink confederate rose that I got a year ago (from Terry?) at the fall swap, has just started blooming in my yard. It is absolutely gorgeous! I am going to take cuttings and try to root them over the winter in my garage. If anyone has the single form, I'd love some cuttings in the spring.

Thanks,

Susan.

Comments (12)

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

Susan, please put My Aunt Frankie on one of the cuttings. she had a fit over the ones she saw at the fall swap and said she wanted one. Also, you gave me several plants, one of which was a grass. What is the name of it? I can not remember. I am trying to keep up with what I have recieved and from who. P

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

If they root I'll be sure to bring one for your aunt Frankie. I enjoyed talking to her. The grass I gave you is Pennisetum "Moudry".

Susan.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Susan, first of all I'm so happy you are pleased with the double pink CR. I have the double white and single white which turns pink later in the day. I also have the single fuchsia pink. Let me know if you want some of them. I'll be taking cutting as soon as the first frost kills the leaves. I'll root you some cuttings over winter.

Just a hint, if you plant your cuttings in soil, put them under a light and in a warm place, they will have tender roots by January. Terry ;-)

• milieu_serene
    14 years ago

I hope to take some cuttings from some Confederate Roses my Aunt has this winter. She says she got her's years ago from a lady who just told her to put them in water and leave them over the winter.

I see your hint about putting the cuttings in soil under a light and in a warm place BUT suppose I don't have a light? And, how critical is the "warm place"?

Would one of you point me in the best direction for cutting/rooting the Confederate Rose and what I should expect to see along the way?

Thanks so much for your time.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    14 years ago

link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Confederate rose

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terry,
    If it's not asking too much, I'd love one of each. They are so spectacular, I cannot resist. I hope there is something I can bring you for them.
    Thanks,
    Susan.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Susan, as soon as the frost kills the leaves I'll be pruning them and taking cuttings. You'll have them at the spring swap. - Terry

• tedposey
    14 years ago

Milieu, My wife just sticks the cuttings into a 5 gal bucket about 1/2 full of water and sets the bucket in front of a west facing window, with no blinds or curtains in a back bedroom, that has no heat except that which flows from convection from a small gas heater two rooms away. Gets pretty cold but doesn't freeze. By spring most all have roots and leaves. one or two may die.
    Oh, she does add water ocasionally.

• milieu_serene
    14 years ago

Thanks love of the yard and tedposey. I'll give the sticks in a bucket a try this winter.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Terry,
    Thanks!
    Susan.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Milieu, the light is important if you want them to root and have leaves during the winter. I had some Rubra cuttings which I put on the shelf above the sink. There is a florescent tube light above the sink that stays on 24/7. By the first week of January we had roots and leaves. If you don't have a light, they will still root but it will be much later, maybe even May.

• milieu_serene
    14 years ago

Super. I should be taking some cuttings from my Aunt within the next couple of weeks. She mentioned them this past weekend.

Hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving!