Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
g_stuckey

Need some advice

ginger_s
13 years ago

Hi All,

I've been mostly a lurker for years, even before iVillage bought the site. When I did participate or ask questions it was on the Georgia Gardeners forum. Now that I've moved back to Alabama, if not near home, I need some advice.

I live in Fort Payne and the people who used to live in this house had a garden in the back yard. For various reasons, I let it go for two years and now I'm ready to get back into gardening. It was just too hot to do anything this summer about moving plants or anything. I'm not planning to keep all the plants in the garden but I do want some and the rest I want to donate to the DeKalb MG club.

The things I want to keep are a few daylilies, some other type of lilies, spider lilies, ginger lilies, hostas, a fern, some iris and dutch iris. I've harvested hibiscus seeds.

I dug up some spider lilies (the ones that show up in September) and placed the plants and volunteers in pots. Is that the best way to over winter them? I need to move the plants I want to save to a temporary location and then put them back in when the new area is set up.

I plan to have the new beds ready by spring. Will it hurt to move plants to a new area so soon after a temporary move? Will it hurt to over winter some of these thing is pots if I put them in the carport? What about water? Should I plant them in a temporary bed? Maybe in a kiddie pool?

Anyone with good advice for getting rid of volunteer trees?

Wow, I'm full of questions.

Should I leave you all alone and go to the MG club or Extension? HA!

Thanks for your help.

Ginger

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living