Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mybendoverstoreup

oodles of daffodil and spider lily bulbs

mybendoverstoreup
14 years ago

We live on an old homeplace and I have oodles of daffofil and spider lily bulbs already dug up and a huge bank that is washing with lots more to be dug. They are mixed up, I cannot tell the difference. I hate to see them go to waste, so let me know if you want some, they are free. I am located in Childersburg near Desoto Caverns. I travel to Chelsea, Pell City, and Talladega every month. Also, I am looking for ginger, ferns, and some kind of ground cover for this huge bank out front. I am new to the plant world, I do not know much about plants yet, but thanks to people like you and the web, I am learning :) Any suggestions would be great! Thanks, Donna

Comments (7)

• lsmcw
    14 years ago

I'm interested. I have lots of ferns I can trade. Email me at wild-flower@mindspring.com and let's see what we can work out. Linda

• tedevore
    14 years ago

I've got lots of vinca and liriope, & a few ferns I could give you. I'd like some bulbs as well.
    Email me using the "My Page" link if you like.

Todd

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

Hi Donna!!

how much sun does your hill side get and what type of soil? I may have something that will help with the wash and it is soooo easy.... just let me know....
    Peggy

• mybendoverstoreup
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Peggy,
    My bank gets sun from sunrise until around 10AM. It might get one hour in the late afternoon. The first 8 inches or so of soil is dark rich soil, but there is some grooves that have washed out deeper and they are red clay like. The bank is a good 40 feet long.Thanks, Donna

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

send me your e-mail I have something that you may be interested in. You can also set it up so we can e-mail you directly from the gardenweb site.

• airydana
    14 years ago

Donna, my back yard is pretty steeply sloped and semi-shaded as well. Like you, I have had fairly bad washing and rutting this year with all the rain, since there is no grass there (and I don't want grass there). I have found very good success with lioripe - basic monkey grass. It spreads by undergound runners and gets established quickly, doesn't mind sun but prefers semi-shade. There are many varieties of this, any of which would work on a bank or slope. The clumps provide excellent resistance to water runoff, provides some greenery, and can be mowed or weed-whacked periodically as needed. Whenever I have a new spot that needs help, I just dig up a clump from somewhere in the yard, and transplant it. I also have a number of pots started already, which I tried to hand out at the swap...most folks don't need liriope too much, so they're still available. I'd be happy to trade you some of this for some of your daffodil and spider lily bulbs. And depending on how big your bank is, I can possibly dig you some extra clumps to help get your erosion under control. You can email me directly from my page link.
    Dana

• shortcharge
    14 years ago

If you're interested in ginger lilies you need to get in contact with the urban extentsion agent in Calhoun Co.. He has many many different varieties. Email me at dixiegypsy@inbox.com for info.

Sponsored