Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arabesque_gw

Gardening in northeast Alabama

arabesque
17 years ago

Are there any posters on this forum that garden in northeast Alabama-southern Tenneseee in the Lookout Mountain area? I'd love to know what gardening is like up that way. What are some of your favorite plants? (I know, there's probably a book's worth of information in that question!)

Thanks! :)

- Arabesque

Comments (6)

• madabouteu
    17 years ago

I'm in Gadsden, right at the southern terminus of Lookout
    Mountain. But to answer the questions would indeed entail writing a book! The soils in the area can very quite a bit from place to place but in general are pretty fertile. Growing season is roughly from the end of March to perhaps Nov. 10 but it's possible to have something interesting in your garden 12 months of the year. My favorite? Probably irises. This is a great place for bulb plants.

• arabesque
    Original Author
    17 years ago

madabouteu - (neat name)
    Do you know what soil is like up around Mentone area 'on the mountain'? I guess I'm wondering if there is a lot of rock that could make digging difficult. If there is a depth of soil is it clay? (Medium, heavy?)

• tedposey
    17 years ago

All of Lookout Mt. area is very rocky with some boulders as big as a house; however, much of it has a layer of rich, sandy loam topsoil that varies from a few inches to several feet thick. Be sure to determine the depth before buying. Small rocks, fist sized or smaller, are no problem except dulling your hoe.

I have a veggie garden and wife has flowers on a rocky ridge between Lookout and Sand Mt.west of Fort Payne.
    My favorite plants are beans, tomatos and okra. Wifes are daylillies, angel trumpets and confederate rose. Almost anything will grow here.

• arabesque
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for your responses. Now I know I can look forward to fertile soil! Some great rocks with sandy loam? Sounds like the best of both worlds!

We're coming up that way soon to look around. I'll tuck a shovel in the back to test just how much soil properties have. (G).

What nurseries do you have and like up around Mentone?

• madabouteu
    17 years ago

On top of Lookout Mtn. the underlying rock is sandstone with some shale. In places the soil is quite thin but is good soil and supports a rich native flora. I doubt there are local nurseries; you may wish to visit Chattanooga,TN
    or Huntsville, AL. Also, at Colinsville, S of Ft. Payne there is a Trade Day each Saturday and you can get good plants at a good price there.

• greenthumb002
    17 years ago

Hi I just moved here. I was wondering how the soil is to grow flowing plants in the madison county area. I think madison county is concidered the north east. Hazel and meridanville area. I started a gardening group here but it is slow taking off. I just joined this group today.
    When can I start planting. I here you can plant trees and shrubs now. Is that true. thanks
    greenthumb
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Huntsville-MadisonCountyGardeningGroup/

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting