Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vivilet

Question about confederate rose

vivilet
17 years ago

Can a confederate rose be pinched back, when it first starts to come up, to make it more bushy than tall? Can this be done without affecting the bloom?

Comments (15)

• sinai
    17 years ago

This should give the information you want.

Paul

Here is a link that might be useful: Confederate Jasmine

• terramadre
    17 years ago

The Confederate Rose, Hibiscus mutabilis is a multi-stemmed shrub that grows to a height of about 15' and a width of about 10'.
    Yes, you can prune it in the spring which shouldn't have effect on flowering.
    How old is your plant?

• sinai
    17 years ago

My apologies......I saw Confederate Jasmine instead ofyou what you asked about, Confederate Rose....My fault.....I had just planted a Confederate Jasmine yesterday morning so I guess I had them on my mind....:)

Paul

• goldhill
    17 years ago

I was given a cutting of confederate rose that had been rooted in water. It nearly died when I put it in soil and had about a year of nursing to get started. I have had this experience before-things rooted in water often die when transplanted. This year it was beautiful, but I still have it in a pot as I have not selected a spot for it yet. I had one several years ago that tried to take over my flower bed so now I know it needs its own space.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

That's one reason why we suggest that all things be rooted in a solid medium of some sort, especially woody plants. It can be quite difficult, having to grow new roots all over again, once they are removed from the water.

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

I find it much easier to root CR in dirt and transplant the entire root ball afterwards. The roots are extremely tender and break off easily. In the Fall I line a pot with newspaper, fill it with sand, plant the cuttings, keep them moist and transplant in the spring. I gently tap the pot to remove the sand and plant the newspaper wrapped root ball.

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

Good idea Terry - i will try that, so far i have not been successful at rooting the CR. Do you root them upright, or do you lay them down like sugarcane in the pot (have heard of both methods)?

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Hey, Rosemary! I cut the pruned pieces into 12-16 inch sections. Put them in a bucket of water for about a week (or longer) with just enough MiracleGro so you can see a slight tint of blue. When you take them out you will see the little white root nubbins. If you believe in SuperThrive (and I do), add some of it to the water. I take a one gallon pot and a two page section of newspaper. I fold the newspaper so there are 4 thicknesses. I dip it into a bucket of water. Turn a on gallon pot upside down and mold the wet paper over the outside of the upside down pot. Now carefully slide another pot over the newspaper and remove the inside pot. The paper is molded to the inside of a pot. This keeps the sand from running out when you water but drains through very well. Fill it with damp creek sand and put 3 cuttings in each pot. You can do this on a grand scale by using a larger pot. Keep the soil damp. But if you are going to sell them, the one gallon pot works great. If you need a few rooted cuttings to get you started, let me know. - Terry

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

Hey Terry! Thanks for the info, I will try it. I haven't cut mine back yet, but check the weather daily - i think i am safe for a couple of more weeks.
    I have not used SuperThrive, but if you use it, and like it, i believe i will try it - let me guess, i have to order it?
    I am not selling plants anymore, just doing them for my personal enjoyment - but the GH business really helped my taxes for a few years. I had just shown a profit in 2005 - and closed it due to divorce (trailer/truck). But thanks for the offer - I have one out in the yard (white, then pink) - you gave me one at the spring swap too, but i can't find it - some friends of mine came and got plants, i was "downsizing", and maybe they took it. I still have PLENTY though - I will upload pics later this month on the web, will let you know. catch ya later. Rosemary

• tedposey
    17 years ago

I don't believe the original question has been answered. Will it branch out more and become more bunchy if the top is pinched back? Momma Earth said it won't affect it but it at least will make it shorter. Lol
    Also no one mentioned that you can overwinter it it the groud most years by cutting off at ground level and heavily mulching the roots.

• littlecars
    17 years ago

For the past few years, I have not cut the stalks to the ground in the Fall. I watch them for freeze damage and trim them back in the Spring to good wood. They sprout from the remaining stalks and get quite tall and sturdy. My two main display plants are over 16' tall this year and beautiful. Anniston has had rather mild Winters recently.

• patricianat
    17 years ago

The things will get bigger than a 100-year-old oak tree in 2-3 years.

• teachergirly
    16 years ago

I need help - I have a confederate rose that I thought was dead. Unfortunatly (I'm not very good at planning and remembering what I have planted)I planted other stuff around it. Now it's back with a vengance!!!! It's totally too big and crazy for the place that it's in now. I'd like to move it. Can I do this? How do I do this?? Please help!!!!

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Teachergirly, I would leave it in the ground for the winter. In zone 7 we could have a hard winter with frozen ground. If you move it now the roots may freeze in loosened soil. Somewhere around the end of March or first of April, dig it and transplant it. You can dig and prepare the hole now. Hopefully this Spring will be wetter and the transplanted bush will begin to grow. The roots will be hard to dig but will recover quickly.

• BCrouch
    10 years ago

Anyone have any experience with using mag sulfate (epsom salts) with CR's? Just wondered what ph they like. Have a couple of new plants about 4' from a brick wall and feel pretty sure the ph is high. The top, new growth is yellowish but hardy and the lower leaves are nice dark green. Thanks!

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz