Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Is it normal yet?

alabamanicole
12 years ago

In the 5 years I've been here, it seems like every season is "not normal." It's hard to get a sense of the rhythm. I think my fall garden is going to be peas and not much else. The first batch burned up and the second can't seem to get established in

So is this year's fall turning normal for No. AL?

Comments (4)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    12 years ago

Heythere, I'm also "new" here, moved to AL from OH in early 2007, although I've visited the south many times before moving. No answer to your question but wanted to sympathize with you. I feel the same way. But I don't think it's just an AL thing, the whole country seems to be having abnormal weather the past few years.

Six weeks ago I went looking for seeds for the veggies everyone says grow well here in the fall but there were no seeds still for sale anywhere. I guess next year I'll have to buy seeds for "both gardens" in the spring.

I still can't get used to how the seasons change overnight. Is that usual?

• moongazer2
    12 years ago

Since the temperatures are staying above 40 and below 90, we are havine a good normal fall for Birmingham. Let's just hope it last a little longer!

• User
    12 years ago

IMHO, strange is the new normal. The folks in denial about "climate change" would have it otherwise, but it is upon us.
    The previous two winters, we had IN MOBILE, mind you, long stretches below freezing. I could not save my plants by throwing the occasional blanket over them. It required a lot more than cover.

I am primed to expect more dry spells, even drought, and I hope it does not hit Alabama like it did Texas. The Phoenix area (AZ not AL) had dust storms, and I begin to wonder if the dust bowl days are coming back. The aquifers are getting lower, and the pollution of industry is contaminating many water supplies. Yet the trend by one of our political parties remains deregulating the industries who pollute our fair earth. We cannot sustain life without clean water and clean air.

Alabama has the best system of navigable waterways in the US, and I learned that as a child in 4th grade geography. They still say that these days. I'm an Alabama gal all my life, and plan on being one the rest of my days. I learned to garden in the country walking behind my grandpa's plow, and sticking down cabbage sets alongside my grandma. I picked cotten with a long bag dragging behind me down the dusty rows, all for a nickel from my Scottish grandpa. It was a loving and lovely childhood, one I wish could be given to so many new people and youngsters today, so they could know what Alabama was all about....in days gone by.

I wish you could have known what normal was, in those days.

• jcalhoun
    12 years ago

They have issued frost advisory for tomorrow morning. I don't remember there ever being frost in Mobile County in October.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists