Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
g_stuckey

Swap: How do I do this?

ginger_s
10 years ago

Do I need to bring individual and divided plants in containers? I'm getting stuff together to bring and I'm trying to imagine how it works.

I don't have anything really special yet and some of the variety names were lost I don't know what they are except for daylily. I'm worried no one will want anything.

G.

Comments (5)

• tempskya
    10 years ago

This will be my first time too, and I think I'm in the same boat. I don't have a lot of plants -- or at least ones that I think others will be interested in. Who knows, though? Maybe you and I can just swap. I'm just thinking it'll be fun getting together with other people who love plants and like to eat.

• ourhighlandhome
    10 years ago

Ginger, I can bring you a nice gallon pot of daylily 'Yellow Mammoth', along with a small 'Patriot' hosta. I'd love some of your hellebores or daylilies (do you have any of the daylily names or colors?).

tempskya, you don't have anything on your Exchange Page but I bet we could strike up a trade as well. Let me know.

Since we have quite a few new members, we really need blank nametags, and most traders appreciate receiving white mini-blinds (new or used) to use as plant labels, permanent markers, bamboo plant stakes are usually on sale this time of year, as well. Not sure if anyone has volunteered paper towels, hand sanitizer, etc. There are a ton of things people will trade for. Just glance over their individual exchange pages.

Hope to see you both there - you'll really enjoy it!

• ginger_s
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Nelson,

I do not have any of the names or even most of the colors. The lady who packed our house for our move dumped out all of my pots. My son and his friends saw plants growing out of the pile of dirt and brought them home. We are in a rental and all of the plants are in pots. All of the tags were dumped, too! The lady was a good neighbor but dang, dumping my pots.

Thanks for the info though.

G.

• mws366
    10 years ago

ginger----when relatives in charleston give me cuttings or plant divisions, i wrap them in moist paper towels or newspaper and put them in plastic shopping bags. tie the handles around the stems and they will keep for two days if
    kept out of the sun. you can do this with individual specimens for trade.
    see my list and let me know what you want.

wayne

• catbird
    10 years ago

If you have time, it's best to pot things up and label each since it may a while before the recipient can get everything planted. If you don't know varieties (I often don't) put any information you do know -- kind of plant, color, size, . . . . A lot of us have received passalong plants over the years and have no idea what the varieties are.

tempskya: You're right that it's fun to just come and get to know people the first time. We're all looking forward to meeting you and will guide you through it.

Sponsored