Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobbygil_gw

birmingham nurseries

bobbygil
17 years ago

Hi..I have to go from Atlanta over to B'ham this weekend so I wanted to see if anyone knows of any exceptional nurseries there for a good selection of not the usual run of the mill perennials ...thanks bobby

Comments (7)

• ourhighlandhome
    17 years ago

Hi Bobby!

The very first place that comes to mind is the Plant Odyssey. However, like most nurseries this time of year, their selection was somewhat diminished when I visited a couple of weeks ago. I'd still drop by there if I were you - chances are you'll find something you didn't know you needed! The address & phone is 2912 6th Ave. South; (205) 324-0566.

Good luck, have a safe trip, and definitely plan to visit the Plant Odyssey next spring.

Nelson

• roseyp8255
    17 years ago

I have never been to Plant Odyssey - but I LOVE Myer's Nursery on Hwy 31 in Pelham (or maybe Hoover) - those little suburbs all run together to me.

You can also check out Garden Shop of Homewood.

• tsmith2579
    17 years ago

Try Hanna's Garden Shop & Aquatic Gardens on Highway 280 W. They have a great selection but are a bit pricey. Take I-20 from Atlanta and then I-459 South to exit 19. Take the left lane of exit 19 to the Sylacauga/Childersburg ramp on to Hwy 280 East. Go about 3 miles to Alabama Hwy 119 (big intersection)and go straight. Next light is Hugh Daniel Drive, go straight but start looking on your left immediately. The entrance is next to the Turtle Lake Apartment sign.

• rayama
    17 years ago

Collier's Nursery off of 459 just south of Birmingham.

A bit far a field, but Petals from the Past (petalsfromthepast.com) is wonderful for old plants, especially roses. It's about 30 min south of B'ham, in Jemison.

This weekend they're having a seminar on bulbs this weekend!

October 7 and 8, Saturday and Sunday Fall is for Gardening
    Saturday 10:30am Jason Powell will talk about 'Why we garden in the Fall' 12:00 Lunch with the Speaker, Chris Wiesinger, owner and founder of the Southern Bulb Co. will give us some background on himself and his company. (There is a $15.00 charge for the Lunch. Please call for reservations)1:00 'The Bulb Hunter; 'Why the World Wants to Know about your Bulbs' with Chris Wiesinger, an interesting speaker who was recently featured in an article by the New York Times.

October 8, Sunday 2:00pm Why the World want to know about your Bulbs with speaker Chris Wiesinger. 3:30pm Fall Fruit for the Garden-Dr. Powell will be speaking about fruit that is ready to harvest in the fall and late summer.

• bobbygil
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. I got it all mapped out and it looks like its going to be a nice weekend. I'll stop by as many as I can. Just always looking for diferent perennials...thanks again bobby

• lornataylor
    17 years ago

I am trying to find Jason Powell. I understand that he has Cherokee Roses in Birmingham and that they might be flowering currently. Please assist. Thank you, Lorna.

• pfllh
    17 years ago

Jason and his wife own Petals from the Past in Jemison. They have a Web site where you can email him or call the number listed.
    It's right off the interstate and easy to find.
    Hope this helps.
    Lynn

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County