Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
please help me with mums!

Posted by teachergirly zone 7 - AL (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 9, 07 at 18:39

ok - i try to garden, i really do. i buy lots of stuff and try to grow it and make my yard look nice, but i don't always do that well. my latest subject is mums. i have a HUGE one in a pot and two smaller ones all in pots. they looked SOOOO good when i got them. i have watered them about every other day. i was attempting to deadhead? them?? but now - they look awful!!! what do i do? how do i take care of mums? i really don't know what to do with them and i can't seem to get information anywhere - maybe i'm not looking in the right place. please let me know if you can give me any help! thanks!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: please help me with mums!

I'd be interested to see the answers to this as well. I experience the same thing when I try to grow them in pots past a certain length of time. Even repotting and fertilizing doesn't seem to improve them. Once I got them planted into the garden soil and I finally learned to start judiciously pruning them throughout the season to make them fuller they seem to do be happy, but I'm terrible with potted plants.

Danielle J.

o
RE: please help me with mums!

Mums are short term bloomers, especially in containers. Careful watering can help, I think. Avoid soaking the flower heads every time you water to prevent fungal problems from starting and spreading. Keep up with the deadheading from the very beginning.

Once planted in a permanent location in the garden and cut back pretty heavily at the right times of years can result in a twice a year (spring and fall) display. Full sun with maybe some protection from the hottest afternoon rays would be good in your location.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here