Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First Frost Date

Posted by jbranch 7B Alabama (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 21:53

Is there a average date that the first frost happens in the Birmingham area?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First Frost Date

From the resources that I have checked, I'm thinking that the first frost date is around the fifteenth of October, and the last frost date in the spring is around the fifteenth of April. As you know, these dates are approximate, due to conditions that change from year to year.

o

Maybe this will help....

Here is a link that might be useful: first frost

o

I've seen first frost as early as Oct. 11 and as late as the first week of Dec. I always take a week of vacation the middle of Oct. to clean the greenhouse and put everything inside. Waiting any later is a gamble.

o

Thanks - I want to move a few more plants, so I guess I need to get a move on!

o

We had our first frost last night here in Piedmont AL. Had to scrape the car windows to see. Booo!

o

We had a light touch of frost last night/this morning in Hueytown, about 12 miles southwest of Bham. When I walked the cat this afternoon, I could see the tops of the banana trees were lightly burned but no frost on the ground or windshields. I didn't heat the greenhouse and the recording thermometer showed a low of 40 degrees @ 6 a.m. which dropped to 38* after I opened the doors before leaving for work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here