Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
confererate rose and angel trumpet question--rooting?

Posted by vivilet 7b AL (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 1, 05 at 10:46

Can anyone tell me for zone 7 Al, what is the best way to root angel trumpet and confererate rose cuttings? Would it be best to put them indoors in a jar of water? Or can I just put cuttings in the ground? Thanks, Viv

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: confererate rose and angel trumpet question--rooting?

I was given 6 cuttings of the confererate rose too.
and was told to either put them in water to root or put the cuttings in the ground and they would root by spring.
I'm at a lost ,to which way to do this. this plant is really hard to come by here.

o

I suggest you put both brugs and CR in a pot of sand. Keep it moist, not wet. If you have a fluorescent light, put them under the light. By Jan. 1, 2006 you will have little leaves and by spring they will have roots and be ready to plant outside. That is almost instant gratification, isn't it.

o

I root confederate rose all the time and it's easy. I just root in water and leave in my library in indirect light. In a few weeks there are roots and usually new leaves. Then I pot up in potting soil - to make the transition easier, I pot it in rather wet potting soil and let it slowly dry out. Seems to be less stressful (an idea from another GWer). I haven't tried wet sand, but I'm sure that would work too.

o

Jrgardener - do you root ALL of the pieces of confed rose, or just the "younger growth" - i.e., upper part of trucks, "stems" with blooms, etc.? I am finally gonna try, AGAIN, to root them - NEVER had any success in the past....with the CRs anyway

o

For me, the C R is one of those things that are soooooo simple to root. I just take a limb, cut it into about foot long sections and put them in a vase of water. Sit the vase in a place where it will get light, room temp, and forget it. In a couple of months your sticks will be well rooted, and leafed out. After last frost time, they can be planted in the garden. Some even bloom the first year. However, I have seen some of my neighbors try this same method, and it doesn't work for them. good luck

o

• Posted by Amyta z8 mid GA (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 11, 05 at 13:26

Do you have to prune back the Confederate Rose when the leaves fall off in fall and is this the time to try to root it? How tall should one let it grow before pruning?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here