Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeff_al

osmanthus fragrans or tea olive

jeff_al
13 years ago

do these shrubs grow in northwest alabama?

i am from there and don't recall seeing them. my sister moved north of florence to greenhill, just south of the tennessee state line. i guess they are zone 7a or 7b.

i would like to give her one but am not sure if it is suited for this area's winter temps. if marginally hardy, would it regrow from the roots or be killed outright?

also, i doubt that this one is a candidate but what about the banana shrub (magnolia/michelia figo or other species)?

thanks,

jeff

Comments (4)

• ourhighlandhome
    13 years ago

Hey Jeff!

I can't think of you without thinking of the camellia 'Magnoliaflora' (or something like that).

I have 20+ osmanthus 'fragrans' here in Vincent and they do quite well during our typical winters. Any tender fall growth is killed back during harsh cold, but that's minimal. It quickly regrows during spring. My two oldest shrubs are approaching 10-ft. tall.

I have 2 michelia 'figo'. The species is somewhat protected by the deck and surrounding shrubs, and still loses quite a few leaves during the upper teens. Likewise, it quickly replaces them in spring. The selection 'Port Wine' is unprotected and takes a little bit of a beating during bitter cold, but is still a very handsome shrub come mid-spring. I can't imagine not being able to enjoy both!

Having said all that, I'd be a bit sceptical about either one thriving as far north as the TN line. However, I'd still try both if they could have excellent protection during winter.

I'm interested in hearing comments from those in north Alabama who grow either of these. According to the "Southern Living Garden Book", there is an area near, or even north of, Florence, that is considered "Lower South", which is the northern range for either of these shrubs. Maybe your sister is lucky enough to live in that area. Let's hope so!

Nelson

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Jeff, remember the "What's That Smell" thread a while back? That was from me, sitting here in Huntsville (actually north of Huntville) We've had our Osmanthus for over 4 years.

At that time, our neighbor had fallen in love with them at a nearby garden center and brought home several for her yard. Both Robert and I felt, at the time, that it wasn't a very smart choice. Then, she very kindly brought one over to us! LOL

We planted it into the hard, red clay of Northern Alabama without any amending of the soil. Which is the way you're supposed to plant, by the way. Though we babied it through the first and second winters it's been on its own ever since. And we live in a part of the county that sits high, and is always a bit colder and windier than the surrounding area. Even through last winter's very frigid temperatures, our tea olive suffered no signs of injury whatsoever.

Our petite three gallon gift is now easily over 7 feet tall, very wide and full all of the way to the bottom. I'd strongly recommend that you give your sister a small plant, and instruct her to avoid excess fertilization at all times. Accelerated growth weakens a plant's ability to tolerate severe weather.

As long as a strong root system has been encouraged, I'd expect good results for your sister, too.

• jeff_al
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for the input to both. i will give her a tea olive to plant next spring.
    might not try the banana shrub just yet until i look around the property more for a good spot.
    judging from the responses, perhaps gardeners in that part of the state aren't aware that they can be grown. i sure would miss not having one!
    nelson, i lost that camellia to drought several years ago (again!) have planted twice and, should i find another one, will give it a place nearer the house where i can devote more attention to it. she sure is a pretty thing.

jeff

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Hey, Jeff. I was thinking about this post when I looked out my window this morning. My osmanthus has stood up to all of the winter weather thus far, including that very cold spell last year. But I do think that a real test will come today and tomorrow, as single digit temperatures are a real possiblity.

I'll let you know how it does. I'm not one to get out a step ladder to wrap Xmas lights and sheets around a plant, so it will either make it.....or not. There's still lots of snow cover on the ground to insulate the roots and I'm happy about that.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath