Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy compost

Posted by rayama 7b Birmingham, Al (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 21, 06 at 12:25

I've got a new rose bed (so happy!) and I REALLY need a lot of compost for it. Is there anybody y'all would recommend, or NOT recommend?

If they could deliver a tiller at the same time as the compost, that would be lovely.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy compost

First call the City of Trussville. Several years ago they dumped all of the leaves the city picked near a park. You went down Pine St. near the school and over the creek and up a hill. You could get all you want for free.

Same for Mt. Brook. They dumped all leaves in an area. I've never been there but some of the Botanical Gardens folks I used to know talked about it.

o

Does anyone know if the city of Florence has compost? Or who I should contact there to find out. I have several beds to build and need to get a large quantity of compost.

Thanks

o

Lots of horse people in the Decatur area, not sure about the Shoals area.

o

There is a guy in the B'ham area that makes compost. He has a website called captaincompost. You might want to try him. He sells it by the truck load or bag.

o

captaincompost is very good at his trade and very, very expensive but worth it if you do not want to take the time to do your own or do not like shoveling poop or shredding leaves, loading cotton gin trash.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here