Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mimidi_gw

Anyone Watering?

mimidi
16 years ago

I am watering my flowers just as if it were summer. Things are so dry around I still think I could lose some plants and I sure don't want to.

My sasanquias have not even bloomed so far this year. I guess the dry weather is the reason for that.

Comments (8)

• squirrellypete
    16 years ago

I am still watering (bath water & a/c runoff only though). We're on well water and aren't governed by any restrictions but I am still trying to conserve all I can and not use the well water for outdoor watering unless absolutely necessary. I've got my beds on a rotation so that whenever I have a bathtub to empty I hit a different bed. I'm going to continue this throughout the winter if it stays this dry. Maybe it will help their performance next year.

On a brighter note we actually had a thunder shower pass through here a few hours ago. I didn't even know they were calling for a chance of rain so it was a pleasant surprise when I heard rain pounding our tin roof. Didn't last long enough for any deep level saturation but everything got a decent soaking.

Danielle

• ourhighlandhome
    16 years ago

Our days are Tuesday and Friday, between 6-8 p.m., and yes ma'am, I'm watering like a mad fool. County extension officer says that unless winter rains set in roots won't regrow enough to support trees/shrubs through another expected year of drought. Next year could be worse - begin to prepare your plants now. Even then it could be too little, too late....

Nelson

• tedevore
    16 years ago

I'm not going to even think about another year as bad as this was, or I might quit on my plants. After reading an earlier thread here about rain barrels, I
    went ahead and got two 55 gallon barrels for my downspots, and I also spent
    a good part of a weekend digging out a hole (call it a cistern) to catch water
    at a place where it runs off my the side of my driveway. I used a pond liner and covered it, like Terry suggested. Of course that was more than two weeks ago, and no rain still for any of my efforts. Maybe tonight. I like the idea of anything that avoids using city water so I don't have to pay as much rediculous Jefferson county sewer charges, thanks to our rotton and corrupt jefferson county government.

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank goodness we have a well. Out road comes of of 84W and circles back on. Dothan has water going to each end of our road but not to the middle where we are so we still have a deep well. We will keep it if Dothan does come by with a waterline. They installed a hugh water tank in our community and piped the water into Dothan. Talk about politicains being corrupt, you can't beat those in Dothan or Houston County.

I am not planning any new plants for next year. I am only going to try and keep alive the ones I have planted. I sure do hate to lose any of my hummingbird and butterfly plants but is seems like I might have to unless more rain comes.

Maybe all of us should get together like the people in Georgia and pray for rain.

• roseyp8255
    16 years ago

I agree - i have been praying for rain tho and i feel like most everyone is. i too am not putting anything new down - well not much, i did get kind of excited at home depot LOL

• squirrellypete
    16 years ago

Well if any of you were praying it seems to be working. Have gotten several intermittent showers this evening with maybe more to come. Hope this is giving everyone else's flowers a drink too.

Danielle

• mimidi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We got about 1/4 inch here around Dothan. Thankgoodness for that rain. Could be more the first of the week.

• User
    16 years ago

We had rain all night and a good bit of the day today here in Opelika. Cold now tonight and windy. We are supposed to get more over the next 4 days. I am very thankful and hope the rest of you get lots more too. Caroline

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery