Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hello459_gw

Alabama Red Clay Soil

hello459
9 years ago

Hi I am new to gardening and want advice on how to amend the red clay soil that we have here in North Alabama. I started tilling and have put soil conditioner/manure I got at a hardware store but is there more that I can do? Is there any winter green manure I could grow now that will help break up the soil too? I hope to start planting a flower bed next spring. Thanks in advance!

Comments (11)

• alabamanicole
    9 years ago

Despite the bad rep, clay is very fertile and doesn't bother most plants. Most root vegetables will be problematic, but garlic doesn't care. Neither will most of the popular perennials. (We hate red clay because it stains everything, but that's another story.)

Right now, I'd heavy mulch the beds you are improving with straw. Nasty old stuff from Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations is just fine. Chopped leaves will also work (no oak), just be sure it doesn't form a dense mat that repels water. The worms and microbes and other soil fauna will break most of it down over winter and into early spring and enrich the soil.

Over winter, I'd be sure the sits has drainage and you don't have water standing on top anywhere.

After you plant in the spring, also heavy mulch the bed with something like chunky wood chips. Clay retains soil moisture very well, but if it dries out all the way it is really hard to restore. The mulch will go a long way toward preventing that, and will slowly break down into the soil. Also, at the mulch-soil interface it will be very low in nitrogen which helps prevent weed seeds from sprouting but won't harm your plants.

• jcalhoun
    9 years ago

Pine straw is good but watch out for other straw such as hay due to seeds of weeds.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Hello, I know that the red clay can be intimidating, but it is one of the finest agricultural soils in the country. And just look around you at the lush forests, natural green spaces, and farms!

When I first moved here, I went overboard with amendments, too. Then I learned that everything I plant directly into this stuff does very well with very little help from me. I've planted trees in my yard using a pick ax to dig a hole and loosen the clay and added no amendments of any kind, which you shouldn't add no matter what kind of soil. It's crazy how everything thrives.

My lawn is healthy, my trees and landscape beds look wonderful, and my veggy and flower gardens thrive. All I do is keep everything mulched . Clay soil requires less water and fertilizer than you may be used to so be careful.

I've lived all over place and planted in many kinds of soils. I have to say that I've learned to love this hard red clay best of all.

Alabamanicole...why "no oak"? Curious about that.

• alabamanicole
    9 years ago

Only because oak leaves take a very long time to break down, and so they tend to form dense mats that are impermeable to water and air -- not a recipe for a healthy flower bed for next spring.

I also wouldn't recommend pine needles if you WANT them to break down and enrich the soil. As a ornamental mulch, though, I like them a lot.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Gotcha, about the oak leaves. They make an excellent mulch, however, if you run over them a couple of times with the mower before attaching the bag for collection. Hate to see good oak leaves go to waste.

• catbird
    9 years ago

Also, be sure to get a soil analysis done so you know what you're dealing with. I discovered that mine is, for example, acidic and high in phosphate. Those things make a difference in what additives you need and what plants you choose. You can get an analysis from the Alabama Cooperative System located at Auburn. Your local extension agent has all the information and materials for submitting samples.

• hello459
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for the responses! I will definitely heavy mulch. One of the problems I have is that one part of the lawn has no good drainage at all. Is there a way to create drainage? The site is always damp and soggy. If nothing, is there any plants that like heavy wet clay soil in bama?

• jcalhoun
    9 years ago

Red maple, cypress, black gum, sour gum, cyrilla, willows, sweet bay magnolia, milkweeds, to name a few.

• alabamanicole
    9 years ago

Drainage can be added with slopes, swales, ditches and other changes to the topography. You want the water to go somewhere else, preferably to your primary drainage ditch. The caveat is that you need to be sure that area is "always wet" because of drainage and not a leaking pipe or a failed septic field.

Many of our native trees like jcalhoun mentioned will certainly help dry up that spot, but aren't going to be good companions for a traditional blooming flowerbed; they'll suck up all the nutrients, too. It just depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

This list should help with plant ideas:
    http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/plants/other/landscaping/hgic1718.html

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

couple thoughts ...

with any soil ... what you need to master.. is proper watering ... and the problem with clay ... is learning how to deal with drainage .... and also ... trying to avoid it going bone dry in later summer ...

to be clear.... as rhiz said.. there is nothing wrong with the clay itself .... for the plant.... in fact ... if you have ever seen any plant balled and burlapped plant of any kind ... what kind of soil would allow a giant ball of soil.. to stay in ball shape ... as its shipping all around the country???? ... well.. clay ...

many of my OH friends with bad OH clay ... work on top of the clay ... adding good soil above... and basically making raised beds ...

you mention tilling ... and that is not easily done in clay .... and that is why many peeps work above ... and the problem with tilling clay .... is that you MIGHT make adobe or cement .... it you add the wrong things ...

finally ... being new to gardening.. try to find a local garden club ... meets some new friends... who know EVERYTHING about local conditions ... and many of them.. like to give away excess plants ...

there is no reason to limit yourself to AL forums.... there is clay everywhere ... so .. you might want to look in other forums for other ideas ... perennials.... annuals.. trees.. shrubs... conifers.. etc ...

you might also find your COUNTY extension office ... and talk with them ... they might have all kinds of local knowledge and resources .... and might know the local garden clubs ...

have fun in the garden ...

ken

ps: do you know why we garden ... its the only justification an adult has ... to play in the dirt ... lol

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Your extension agent and soil conservation office can be a big help. They

Love for people like us to ask for help.

Coming in late on this ansr.

Keep warm

Jo

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH