Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gardenia transplanting

Posted by joebob 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 24, 08 at 14:54

Hey all----I have one question for all to ponder and will take any advise offered ---I want to move a gardenia that has gotten out of control ---I do trim it once a year but it is still about 5ft tall and needs to find a new home----any tips on time of year and method of extraction ????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gardenia transplanting

Gardenia can be moved easily and it can be pruned heavily. First, dig the new hole and chop up the soil as fine as possible. The late Dr. Ben Hagler from the Auburn Extension agency used to say dig a $10 hole for a $1 plant. Next, dig as much root ball as possible. I am partial to transplanting in early March because we usually get good rains then plus the chance the recently dug ground and roots will freeze is minimal. Prune heavily to minimize the amount of limbs and leave which will need to be nourished by the disturbed root system. As it gets warmer, be sure to water, water, water the first year until it becomes established in its new spot.

o
RE: gardenia transplanting

Thx Terry ---we will mark the calendar for an early march extraction ----JE

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here