Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bama35640

End of the season for me. How about you?

bama35640
16 years ago

Well last night got me good. Elephant ears are mush. Last tomato plant that was a voluntary got it good also. Gonna have to ripen the tomatos in the window sill. Showed 23 degrees out behind the greenhouse. Till next year we will just have to play in the greenhouse.

Bob in Morgan County

Comments (13)

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

We had a light frost, no hard damage. Some wilting of the Confederate rose and other very tender plants at home. No frost on the windshield when I went out at 6 a.m. to go to work. I drive 30 miles to work, through Bham and down Hwy 280 and no sighs of frost either. I went to my mother's this afternoon, near the Bham airport and no signs of frost at her house but a block away the angel trumpets were toast. Aaaahhhh, the fickled finger of frost.

• louisianagal
    16 years ago

Hope ya'll don't mind me posting here, I'm in the Tupelo MS area. Yes the frost got us last nite, it was 31 but lots of frost on the grass and roofs. I'm not used to this, I'm from New Orleans! Well, do you guys like fried green tomatoes? I fried some tonite because I had harvested my last red one this week. Anyway, that's what I do with the green ones.

• bama35640
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Naw you are more than welcome I live in Alabama but work for a company in Starkville, Ms. Telecommute from home. I was at 32 last night at 10 and got down to 23 over night but the clouds moved in and was back up above freezing when I got up.

Bob

• lsmcw
    16 years ago

By the time I went to bed last night it was 31 and was 23 at 5:30 this morning. Elephant Ears, Confederate Rose, Cannas - all black and icky. sigh
    Linda

• louisianagal
    16 years ago

Do the cannas come back up? I left mine in the ground. I do not want anything that I have to dig up and save over winter.

• squirrellypete
    16 years ago

The cannas have always come back for me in zone seven. I couldn't tell you what specific kinds I have, at least 3 different varieties. I never have to dig any of them. In fact, I've had one clump I didn't have a spot for and just threw off to one corner of the yard and then forgot about it. I never actually planted it, it's just sitting on top of the ground. It's survived winter every year and grows 5 feet.

I suppose if they're planted in spot that doesn't drain well there could be an issue with winter rot but I haven't encountered it here.

Danielle

• tedposey
    16 years ago

End of the season? Nooo. My cabbage, broccoli and collards are thriving, though they need rain. Have had a delicious mess of turnip/mustard greens and expect many more.
    Had a light frost in front yard but none in back toward the lake.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Wednesday night we got a good frost. Frost was on the roof tops up and down the street and boy did the tender plants get zapped. Oh well, there is always next year. I have to admit, plant-wise this was the toughest year ever for me. Luckily, we were not on water restrictions. My mother and sister ARE on Birmingham water and their plants suffered. Louisiangal, you are welcome on the Alabama forum any time. Howdy, neighbor.

• louisianagal
    16 years ago

Thanks for the warm welcome, ya'll. I have relocated to Tupelo MS area after Katrina. I was in extreme south Louisiana before. New beauty, and new challenges "up here."

• sundog7
    16 years ago

Not only is it the end of the season for me, if we don't get some near-record rainfall this winter and next spring, it's also the end of next year's season. I'm not very optimistic right now about growing anything next year. Artificial plants, maybe? :)

• jeff_al
    16 years ago

my gardening season ended about the fourth of july. ;-)

no rain makes the mind ponder the cause and effect of dealing with unfavorable natural forces...

i wish we would have a killing frost soon. i'm in the mood for brown until next spring.

• jennifer21
    16 years ago

No- start of winter vegetables instead. But have had a few mild frosts (my yard is a frost pocket but the tender stuff near the pool still only got some damage so far not full demolition) and the chance to finally cut back or harvest my loofah gourds. Await a few real frosts to put the banana plants to bed. And hope I started enough carrot plants back when it was warm enough to do so, or that they'll germinate in the very cool.

• tsmith2579
    16 years ago

Well, we finally had a "black" frost the week of Dec 17. Black frost is one which turns everything black. The 4 o'clocks, lantana, umbrella papyrus, and bush clerodenrum are finally gone.

Sponsored