Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mcleod_gw

Blue collards

mcleod
14 years ago

I am trying to find a source for blue collards. The last known source I knew of was an older gentleman in Pleasant Grove (jefferson county) that grew the blue collards. His garden spot was just down the street from Hill's grocery. This was three years ago. I know that has saved the seed every year just never got around to getting some from him. I am now in Atlanta and have no known source for these collards.

Comments (7)

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

Since it is too late to plant seeds, I can't imagine there is any urgency to this request. I'll do my darnedest to drive to Pleasant Grove on Thanksgiving weekend to see if the guy is still growing them. Is he down the hill East towards city hall and the park or down the hill and south of PG hardware toward the school)? Can you give me a better description of where he lives? BTW, I live in Hueytown.

• mcleod
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Toward the school. Past the hardware store on the right. The garden would be hard to see from the road unless you went past it and took the next right. It is behind houses on three sides. He plants on shares (I did some work for the lady that actually owns the lot). Give me till monday to dig through my records I'll even give you an address.
    BTW, I grew up in Rock Creek.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

McLeod, send me the address by email, not by Gardenweb. Click on the My Page to the right of Tsmith2579 and and then click on Send Me An Email. Fill in the form and send it directly to me. I might forget to check Gardenweb but I always check email.

• tsmith2579
    14 years ago

I found the garden but couldn't find anyone at home at the 3 houses. They may have been at church. I saw what appeared to be collards but they weren't very tall or full of leaves. Remind me at collard planting time around February and I'll try again. I'll also try the hardware store over at Sylvan Springs that is just below Rock Creek Road on Hwy 269. Speaking of which, did you know PG Hardware is closed and the building is for sale?

• mcleod
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, I didn't know about the hardware store. That's a shame. Yeah, when ever I get back home I'll check at Julian's on 269.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    14 years ago

I'm wondering if these are 'Blue Max' Collards, a favorite hybrid. If so, the seed can be purchased from a good seed company. As hybrids, though, their seed cannot be collected from year to year and expected to reproduce true.

I expect you are talking about one of the many yummy varieties that produce large, blueish leaves. Vates is the first one to come to my mind and is ALWAYS a favorite of the old-timers. (Who know a thing or two about collards, don't they?)

• Susan Garrison
    14 years ago

No, it's not the same as Blue Max. The blue collard has a lavender/purple stem and is known to stay sweet even in warm weather. I had obtained some about 10 years ago from a seed exchange in the Alabama Living magazine, but eventually lost my seed. If you find any, I would love to have a few seeds.

Sponsored