Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknown plant

Posted by tegeha 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 16:05

Does anyone know what this is?I have searched the internet trying to find it and can't find anything close.It came up in the middle of my flowers this past summer.I have grandkids who like to pick my flowers and would like to be sure of what it is before they touch it.Thanks for any help.

This post was edited by tegeha on Fri, Nov 30, 12 at 16:21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknown plant

I thought this might be in the milkweed family, either Matelea or Cynanchum, but they have heart-shaped leaves. What did the flowers look like when open - colr and how many petals? Any fragrance?

o
RE: unknown plant

it was just a very small yellow flower.somewhere I have a pic of the flower.I dont really remember what it looked like.I will post it when I find it.

o
Got it! (I think)

I am 90% sure it is Cynanchum angustifolium, or Gulf Coast Swallow-wort. It is a close relative of milkweed, and is a larval food plant of the Monarch and its relative the Queen Butterfly. The USDA PLANTS Database lists it as occurring in Mobile County - it may very well occur in other counties, especially Baldwin County. If you live in central or north Alabama, my ID may very well be wrong! The yellow flowers, though, are a good indicator that it's this species. As for it being safe - the sap would be evil tasting and woud make anyone immediately spit it out. I do not know of any danger otherwise. I'd leave it in place in hopes it would attract butterflies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here