Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blueberry Bush Size???

Posted by haveuseen1 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 3, 09 at 20:04

Hello, and I wanted to thank you in advance for any information you may provide.

I am curious to the size of a 2-3 year old blueberry bush. Just about everything you read says to purchase 2-3yr old bushes. I actually have 3 ( climax,premiere,brightwell ) that I have planted and they are roughly 18 inches high. I dont think they are 2-3yr bushes and I am ok with that. I did want to get some sort of idea of how old they are though.

North Alabama
Thank you kindly

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blueberry Bush Size???

My guess, without seeing pictures of the plants, is that they're closer to 2 years old rather than 3. As far as growth characteristics go, the premier should initially grow a little faster than the brightwell, but the brightwell will become more thick and bushy than the premier. The climax variety, on the other hand, grows a little slower than the other two and spreads more outward than upward in their early years. In other words, like their leaves, the climax bush is more rounded in shape. Also, remember to never use nitrate-based fertilizers as their salt content will burn the delicate blueberry roots; always use an ammonium sulfate-based fertilizer like those used to fertilize azeleas.

Hope this helps,

Ken Barber
Barber Berry Farm
Millbrook AL

Hope this helps,

o
RE: Blueberry Bush Size???

Thank you kindly, and you have a great website.

Thanks again

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here