Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keepingon

Will amaryllis 'belladonna' grow in Bham?

keepingon
10 years ago

Hello all, hope you can help.
Went to website of Southern Bulbs. When I clicked on this amaryllis it said that belladonna will only do well in California-- "do not try to grow them in any other state!" ( ! is theirs)

Is this true; has anyone in Ala gardenland ever grown these? They did not specify the problem. Does it get too hot here, or not enough chill hours? What gives?

I want a perennial to bloom late summer, between summer perennials and the aster/crysanthum bloom period. I saw some beautiful big pink amary growing a little south of Montgomery, can't remember the town right now. It was a HUGE stand growing beside a little concrete block business bldg. It obviously got no care, but had apparently been there a really long time to form such a big clump. After researching, I think belladonna is what I saw. Not positive, but the bloom period is right.

Please give me your thoughts/advice on this bulb. Thanks alot.

Comments (4)

• plantman71
    10 years ago

Yes, I have been growing red, pink (naked Lady), and orange since the sixties. The amaryllis sold in the box stores usually will not make it outside. (These are not amaryllis belladonna). I have grown them in Graysville, Adamsville, Center Point and now in Western Birmingham.
    I also have a red with pink stripes that I have been trying for
    a couple of years.
    There is also a very big real red amaryllis growing in Minor. There is about a 20' row, that has been there for years. I haven't gotten any yet, but I will.
    Hope this helps.
    Tony = Plantman

• keepingon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Plantsman,
    If the box stores' bulbs are not belladonna, do you know what they are? You think they might be same as So Bulb's if they do not survive outside here? Where do you buy the real belladonna?

I do not think what I fell in love with is naked lady--these were blooming along with the foliage, which allowed me to i.d. it as amaryllis rather than another type of lily. My Sou Living book and Sou Bulbs both call naked lady lycoris squamigera.

Never grown the ladies, but the lycoris (spider lilies) I do have put out foliage after blooming which remain evergreen all winter. But the only amaryllis I have (old St Joseph lily), I thought grew foliage in the spring along with bloom stalk?? But maybe have forgotten re St Joseph foliage.

I'm confused now. But anyway, where can I get either? I wanted belladonna because of the fragrance, but it's getting LATE, I need to plant.
    Thanks so much. MM

• plantman71
    10 years ago

keepinon,The amaryllis sold in box stores is Hippeastrum.
    The amaryllis belladonna (naked lady) is the outside ones.
    Naked Lady is listed under several names, one of them is lycoris Squamigera.

Both lycoris Sequamigera and your spider lily blooms on stemss without folage.

I would type in Hippeastrum and amarylls belladonna in my search box, There is a lots of good info. there, along with places to buy bulbs.

I have the pink naked lady, red spider lily, St. Joseph lily, plus other hardy amaryllis. I have several pots of unknown amaryllis(think they are red)

Good luck on our search.

Tony=plantman

• keepingon
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'll get busy and see if I can find some for mail order. I've never ordered for plants or bulbs before, only seeds. I just hope this late what remains are not small and shriveled.
    Many thanks Tony for your help.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists