Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Fungus Among Us!

Posted by nelson 8 in Alabama (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 21:00

The more I use mulch and soil "conditioners", the more I get odd little creatures emerging from the ground.

I noticed these strange, little fellows growing in a container as I was taking it into the basement. I think they're neat - thought I'd share.

Oh, they're from the family Nidulariaceae. I'll leave the pronunciation to y'all. They're commonly referred to as Bird's Nest mushrooms!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Fungus Among Us!

One of my favorite little living things! I remember when I saw my first crop of these little fungi years ago.....can we use the term "charming " for a darned mushroom?

o

One of my favorite little living things! I remember when I saw my first crop of these little fungi years ago.....can we use the term "charming " for a darned mushroom?

o

What an interesting little fellow! Yes, I'd say 'charming' is appropriate :-)

I've never seen that before and thank you for sharing.

o

Cool!

o

Never seen those, but they sure are cool!

o

Nelson,

"I noticed these strange, little fellows growing in a container as I was taking it into the basement."

You may want to keep that container outside
........as.....
"These odd and fascinating little fungi look for all the world like tiny birds' nests. The fruiting bodies form little cuplike nests which contain spore-filled eggs. The nests are called "peridia" ("peridium" in the singular), and serve as splash cups; when raindrops strike the nest, the eggs (called "periodoles") are projected into the air, and they latch onto twigs, branches, leaves, and so on. What exactly happens next is not completely clear, but eventually the spores are dispersed from the egg. They then germinate and create mycelia, which eventually hook up with other mycelia and produce more fruiting bodies."

Either water the containers in the basement or take it outside and let Mother Nature take care of the rest.

No matter what........the Bird's Nest fungi are adorable, interesting and useful.

I want some;-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here