Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
winter crops?

Posted by beckibob 7b AL (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 25, 07 at 0:29

My pepper plants finally gave in to the col, and I'm wondering if I can plant anything else that can grow through the winter in central Alabama? One year I had a lot of luck with cilantro, but there's only so much cilantro anyone needs. Will spinach or arugula make it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: winter crops?

Yes, many crops but it's probably too late to plant them this year. Many will survive fine and can be harvest through the winter but need the last warm days of fall to grow, and the longer maturing ones should be planted mid-summer. Most of them you want them to be mature before the hard freezes set in.

Spinach, kale, collards, radishes, turnip greens, beets, cabbage, carrots, peas, scallions, chives, onions, garlic (harvest in late spring), turnips, arugula, brussel sprouts, fava beans, mustard, mache, parsnips, many leaf lettuces, and more. Also many herbs and edible flowers.

Your county extension office will have a planting calendar for your region. The extension calendars usually only have a few popular items, but it's a place to start.

Winter gardening is the BEST -- almost no bugs or pests or weeds to deal with.

o

By late February or in March you should be able to plant potatoes, onions, turnips, mustard, kale, etc. I love a good mustard salad. Fresh mustard greens, chopped green onions, crisp chopped bacon, a sprinkle of apple cider or wine vinegar and drizzle the bacon grease over the greens. Add chopped boiled eggs if you want. Yum, yum!

o

tsmith2579,
Thank-you for posting that.. I was just surfing around and wondering what to plant and when. We are closing on our new home in Alabama here soon and I had no idea when and what to start planting.
I figure the more time I spend on gardening the less I'll miss my home now (it's taken me years to get this place the way I like it.. Now it's time to start over again. Oh, well at least it's fun!)

Thanks again!

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Here is a link that might be useful: Y-2K Hippie

o

I posted a vegetable planting dates calendar for Lower Alabama on a page of my personal website. It is set up for for Andalusia, Covington County, Alabama. The webpage cites the Alabama Ag Extension Publication from which I addapted this planting dates calendar. The webpage is called "Andalusia Planting Dates" Here is the URL for webpage http://lawnflowersjerkyandbigfoots.com/plantingcalendar
Oh, and check the link I posted to the National Arbor Day Foundation's updated climate zone map. It surprised me.
Happy planting!

Here is a link that might be useful: Andalusia Planting Dates

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here