Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tsmith2579

Online Nurseries Feedback ???

tsmith2579
17 years ago

Well, next week we should get a mailbox full of gardening catalogs along with our Income tax forms. Do you have any favorite online nurseries which you use or from which you plan to order? I have used Asiatica Nursery in Lewisberry, PA and was very pleased with them. Seed Sprout Nursery south of Dothan is great. Only one order from them but wow, the plant was huge. Someone on these boards mentioned Central Florida Farms in which looks very tempting but I've not ordered, yet. Also on my list to try are Almost Eden Plants (Merryville, LA) and Sandusky Valley Nursery (hydrangea list). One of the online order watchdog groups has more negatives for Sandusky than positives. Oh, and Plant Delights which is great. Any feedback about any of these? Do you have your own favorites? Please share with us.

Comments (16)

• alex_z7
    17 years ago

Hostafarm.com sends great hostas, very healthy and I was pleased with the size of them. The bulbs I've ordered from Brent and Becky's have done well for me.

• mimidi
    17 years ago

I love to order from Almost Eden. Great plants.

Another one is http://mailordernatives.com/ owned by Amy Webb.

• pfllh
    17 years ago

Terry, I found when I ordered from Plant Delights that I actually received the plants from another nursery and could have gotten the plants cheaper if ordered direct from them. IE: lilies were from Oaks Daylilies.
    I don't order from them any more. I do get bromeliads from a seller on Ebay and always satisfied with the plants and turn-a-round time. Otherwise I buy from local people - Petals of the Past, Froghollow - Jody Morgan and Southern Homes and Gardens. I really get nice plants at the swaps from friends like you! :O)
    Lynn

• ourhighlandhome
    17 years ago

In addition to some of the above, I have had great success with ForestFarm, Ecolage and Natural Selections Exotics.

• tedevore
    17 years ago

Anyone happened to try a nursery called Sunlight Gardens, near Knoxville, TN?
    They have a big selection and some interesting hollies and a clethra I'd
    like to try.

Here is a link that might be useful: sunlight gardens

• joyb26
    17 years ago

I have used Bluestone Perennials several times and am happy with them. I also love Chamblee's for own root roses. Their roses are much less expensive than some of the local nurseries, and the selection is much better.

I would definitely be willing to try any nursery in the "Watchdog 30", the top 30 ranked companies on gardenwatchdog.

Joy

Here is a link that might be useful: Watchdog 30

• kabby_z8
    17 years ago

Well it seems that I've ordered from every online daylily catalog at one time. Just kidding but my pocketbook sure feels like it. For climbing vines, cannas, other tropically things I've ordered from Cottage Garden in IL. There is a Cottage Gardens daylily garden also, I've also ordered from. Do NOT order from Aloha Tropicals, there's a problem with sending correct plants. For gingers, there is GingersRUs on ebay and he has a website to order from also.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottage Garden

• john_trussville
    17 years ago

I'll have to second kabby's recommendation of Cottage Gardens in Illinois. I've only ordered from them once, but my plants arrived promptly & in great shape. They're very friendly folks on the phone. If you're an aroid fan, try Brian's Botanicals in Louisville, Ky. He has some weird stuff, his prices are reasonable, and he ships great plants. Be sure & check his E-bay store as well. Of course my all-time favorite is Plant Delights. I know their prices are high, but when they're the only source for a particular plant, what other choice do I have? Do without? Naaah...

Here is a link that might be useful: Brian's Botanicals

• browneyedsusan_gw
    17 years ago

I have purchased plants or seeds from, and recommend: Bluestone, Park Seed, Plants of the Southwest, High Country Gardens and Specialty perennials. Susan.

• alabamatreehugger 8b SW Alabama
    17 years ago

I can't say good enough things about MailOrderNatives, I have ordered from them for the last three years and have always been satisfied. NearlyNativeNursery located in Georgia is also a good one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mail Order Natives

• tsmith2579
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi, everyone. Thanks so much for the replies. Please keep them coming, not just for me but for everyone.

Thanks

Terry

• Josh
    17 years ago

Another long-time Plant Delights addict here, plus I've ordered for years from Niche Gardens, Crownsville Nursery several times, Singing Springs Nursery for tropicals/container plants for the last few years.

First time last year ordered from Lazy S's Farms and very pleased with husky well-rooted shrubs, trees and perennials.

Terry,I always check first at the Watchdog place before ordering, and then post my experience there ...you mentioned another possible site? Fortunately I've never had a bad experience in over 30 years with mailorder, but I used to limit my orders to those nurseries specifically mentioned by my favorite garden writers in Horticulture or in their books. Now with the internet it's a litttle harder, so a post like this really helps...thanks. josh

Here is a link that might be useful: Lazy s's Farm

• sugarhill
    17 years ago

Sunlight Gardens is a good source of native plants. Pixie Forest for hostas -beautiful hostas - can't recommend them enough for hostas that do well in the South. Niche Gardens in North Carolina sends beautifully healthy plants. All three of these are worth trying.
    I had not heard of Nearly Native Nursery. Going to check it out now.

• colabama
    17 years ago

there are some intriguing products listed on central florida farms,but i am unfamiliar with this company.has anyone ordered from them? tia

• mws366
    17 years ago

i was at NearlyNativeNursery in Senoia, Ga.
    last year. A great nursery. Jim & Debi Rodgers
    raise some of the plants they sell. Jim knows
    native plants of Al. & Ga.

i like ForestFarm also. i plan to order some
    hard to find plants i.e. mukdenia rossii, from
    them this spring.

i also plan to order a few plants from Big
    Dipper Farm for the first time. does anyone
    know them ?

wayne

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC