Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Too late to plant pansies?

Posted by Canna_Getanamen 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 13 at 10:42

Autumn got away from me this year. I bought pansies in late November, but I didn't have a chance to plant them in my window boxes before freezing temps began.
Can I still plant these? Right now the flats are just sitting in the window boxes so I can bring them inside if need be.
I live in Birmingham.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Too late to plant pansies?

'Tis the season to plant pansies. They should thrive all winter, then probably succumb to heat stress by summer although the occasional plant can make it through summer. This is why one who can't stand the heat might be called a pansy.

o

Canna....whether your pansies have problems being planted this late in your location depends on what the weather does. Without an established root system, they won't take kindly to sub-freezing temperatures readily tolerated when planted earlier. Pansies can be extremely cold tolerant on top of a strong root system.

Here in Huntsville, I'd plant them! The temps in the upcoming few days look nice. You might want to protect them if it drops below 30 for a few weeks.

I like to plant my pansies in early fall so that they are big and sturdy when freezing temperatures hit. The further south you are, the less important the establishment period is.

o

Canna....whether your pansies have problems being planted this late in your location depends on what the weather does. Without an established root system, they won't take kindly to sub-freezing temperatures readily tolerated when planted earlier. Pansies can be extremely cold tolerant on top of a strong root system.

Here in Huntsville, I'd plant them! The temps in the upcoming few days look nice. You might want to protect them if it drops below 30 for a few weeks.

I like to plant my pansies in early fall so that they are big and sturdy when freezing temperatures hit. The further south you are, the less important the establishment period is.

o

I think I forgot to thank you all. I did plant them, and they are still thriving. :-)

o

That's cool! Time to start thinking about something for summer? Angelonia? Pentas? Guess we should ask which side the boxes are on?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here