Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barberberryfarm

Yellow Squash and Powdery Mildew

barberberryfarm
11 years ago

Has anyone who has experienced powdery mildew in their yellow squash beds found a variety that has a good resistence to it? I started out with Multi-pik and Super-pik which produced well but both got inundated with PM. I tried Cheetah last summer, but it didn't produce very well, but on the bright side I didn't get any PM. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Conqueror III and I'm going to try it this coming spring. Are there any other good producing varieties you are aware of that have a good resistence to PM and downy mildew? I live in central Alabama where the humidity is quite high in the summer.

Comments (7)

• barberberryfarm
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Someone on another blog who grows yellow squash in zone 8a suggested Gentry as well as Daisy May and Dixie. I think I'll also plant some Gentry to see how well it does as well.

• dancetrancer
    11 years ago

mikru - I have the same problem with borers. Got me the first year, and I was so frustrated that I haven't tried again.

• MiKru
    11 years ago

dancetrancer -- I'm going to give it once last try this year, with this tip:

"Or just wipe the stems every five days vigorously with a damp cloth and wipe away the eggs. An Auburn University researcher found this tip in a farming book from the 1890's, when even now-ancient remedies like BT were still half a century in the future! Wiping with BTK or insecticidal soap should be even better."

I found that here: http://www.gardensalive.com/article.asp?ai=804

• alabamanicole
    11 years ago

Last year I had a major SVB outbreak. They didn't touch the Cocozelle zucchini or the Wood's Profilic bush scallop. (Nor the C. moschata butternut.)

I had a lot of squash plants, though, so it could merely be a matter of preference that they went after the acorn and buttercup squashes. The buttercups (Bon Bon, C. pepo) had rooted along the vines so they survived me cutting the main stem and removing it, but it didn't live up to it's potential and only produced one fruit per plant.

• MiKru
    11 years ago

Thanks alabamanicole. I'm trying Ronde de nice and Romanesco zuccs this year, as I read somewhere on the internet that people have had luck with them against SVBs. I'm ordering my seeds, so I've been researching SVBs a lot over the past week. Apart from these small things, I haven't found much.

I keep checking this hoping an experienced gardener will write in with the magic solution!

• dancetrancer
    11 years ago

Thanks MiKru!

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals