Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tantalizing tiny tuff plant ID?

Posted by daffodillady 7b/8a central AL (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 28, 09 at 11:41

Last fall, I traveled I-65 to Minnesota with my daughter. We stopped just north of the Alabama/Tennessee line at a gas station. Beside it, there was a sloped area that might have been 18 wheeler parking at one time. Growing along the grass/weed line, there was a sedum-looking plant. I pulled a couple, but they did not survive the 6 day trip. They were about 4-6" tall with wiry red stems. The flowers were pink, and covered 5 "fingers" (like a star-fish) that branched out at the top of the stem. The few leaves were tear drop shaped and sized. The area recieved full morning and afternoon sun, but would have been shaded later in the day. The "soil" was sandy clay with a lot of blacktop and gravel mixed in. I have tried several times to research it with no success. Does anyone have an ideal what that very tuff small plant is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tantalizing tiny tuff plant ID?

• Posted by gaalan z7b(on map) 8(imby) (My Page) on
    Mon, Dec 28, 09 at 16:31

Google Portulaca pilosa and see if that looks familiar.

o

No, that is not my mystery plant. There was no hair, the stem was upright and thin like a wire, there were only a few tear drop shaped leaves- much smaller and sparcer than the PPs. The tiny flowers were more star shaped and they covered the 5 "fingers" at the top of the stem- reminded me of a star fish. Each root system had a single stem. The habitat is the same though. My camera was broken, and it is about 150 miles from here...but that little plant has sure enthralled me- LOL!!

o

Whoohoowee....I found my plant!! And its a native!! It is Sedum pulchellum. The pictures do not do it justice. I love a solved plant mystery....and I think sedums could be addictive-LOL!!

Here is a link that might be useful: solved sedum story

o

What a delightful little plant. I can see why you were intrigued by it. Let us know if you find a source for it.

o

Oh, what a CUTIE!! It does look just like a starfish. By all means, let us know if you find a source. Linda

o

Up here, 40 miles north of the AL border, I occasionally find this plant in the most inhospitable places possible. I've seen it growing in the gravel on the edge of a concrete bridge. I have also found it in concrete cracks in the Big Lots parking lot in Columbia.

Did you notice that it is an annual?

o

Well, almost two years after having first seen my intriguing little starfish sedum, I was finally able to order some seeds. I feel like a kid at Christmas (': Is it time to start wintersowing yet-LOL?!

o

Well . . . . give us the rest of the story!! Where did you order them from?

o

Well, I ordered from a Wisconsin company via the internet on 7/19 and had them in my happy hands on 7/23. My first time to be brave enough to order seeds online.
Good experience, ready to do it again. I plan to bring a trade or two of the seeds to the fall plant swap (-:

Here is a link that might be useful: my sedum site

o

I couldn't get the link to work, but went to Everwilde.com and found it. Try this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sedum pulchellum seeds

o

Humm, don't know what happened with my link, but that is where I ordered them. I hope they grow as pretty in my pots as they were in that field (-:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Alabama Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here